Question No display output to monitor after working 12 hours ago

tobiahlowe3

Commendable
Oct 7, 2018
Got a new monitor today.

Plugged it in and all was working fine on both monitors.

I turned the PC off for 12ish hours and came back to turn it on and there is no display output in either monitor.

I've tried moving graphics card to a different PCI slot, testing with just one monitor plugged in, disconnecting power from the PC and holding down the power button for a minute or so and still there Is no fix.

I should also add that I've tried leaving the computer to turn on into windows to allow me to log in, enter my password and be on the desktop (at which point my keyboard should showing an array of colours) but no colours were shown on either keyboard or mouse.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

SPECS:
GPU: GTX 1060 6GB
MOBO: ASUS Z170-e
CPU: Intel i5 6600k
PSU: 700W

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
the no lights on your keyboard has me thinking its not posting, is there any onboard graphics, a HDMI you can plug into on the motherboard? try connecting one screen direct to the onboard and remove the graphics card completely, if no screen again wait for your mouse and keyboard. if you havent changed anything internally its hard to imagine what could cause it to randomly stop posting from having a monitor connected yeah there might be a little power being sent from the TV to say its there sort of thing but i cant see it killing your GPU or anything silly,

tobiahlowe3

Commendable
Oct 7, 2018
the no lights on your keyboard has me thinking its not posting, is there any onboard graphics, a HDMI you can plug into on the motherboard? try connecting one screen direct to the onboard and remove the graphics card completely, if no screen again wait for your mouse and keyboard. if you havent changed anything internally its hard to imagine what could cause it to randomly stop posting from having a monitor connected yeah there might be a little power being sent from the TV to say its there sort of thing but i cant see it killing your GPU or anything silly,
Thanks for the suggestion but the integrated graphics doesn't work either it seems. Unless you have to turn it on somehow and mine isn't turned on. The keyboard also doesn't work when using integrated graphics.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
nah unless you disabled the onboard in device manager it should snap back to the onboard when no GPU is in there, its not looking good tho, sorry i cant be more help, i would normally suggest reseating things but if nothings been adjusted in the case then its unlikely that something in there is stopping it from posting, if you want to rule it out tho take things out and plug them back in, ram and cpu would be the usual suspects but its a hell of a long shot, anything on your motherboard for diagnosis? lights, terminals for a error code buzzer to be plugged in? clearing the CMOS by removing the battery is a fix im reading somewhere else, but logically i cant see it being any of those. might be worth a try if you are confident to do so,

tobiahlowe3

Commendable
Oct 7, 2018
nah unless you disabled the onboard in device manager it should snap back to the onboard when no GPU is in there, its not looking good tho, sorry i cant be more help, i would normally suggest reseating things but if nothings been adjusted in the case then its unlikely that something in there is stopping it from posting, if you want to rule it out tho take things out and plug them back in, ram and cpu would be the usual suspects but its a hell of a long shot, anything on your motherboard for diagnosis? lights, terminals for a error code buzzer to be plugged in? clearing the CMOS by removing the battery is a fix im reading somewhere else, but logically i cant see it being any of those. might be worth a try if you are confident to do so,
Cleared the CMOS, unplugged all HDD's and such and it still won't post, its so strange I have no idea whats happened. All the MOBO lights are on as they should be too.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
ah man that sucks sounds like the motherboard has died. maybe something surged unexpectedly there might be a burnt out capacitor somewhere you cant see, look for any of the tops of capacitors popped, unfortunately if a solder or something on the boards failed you might only see it from the back side.

tobiahlowe3

Commendable
Oct 7, 2018
ah man that sucks sounds like the motherboard has died. maybe something surged unexpectedly there might be a burnt out capacitor somewhere you cant see, look for any of the tops of capacitors popped, unfortunately if a solder or something on the boards failed you might only see it from the back side.

I do think it posts, because in order for me to power off, i must hold the power button on the case for a few seconds.

Obiwancanabi

Proper
Dec 24, 2020
that just kills the power completely, like a hard reset, thats pretty normal for a no post. mine on normal operation would initiate the shutdown procedure just pushing the power button, it should cycle to off eventually if its not posted pushing the button wont make any change unless like you say you hold it

tobiahlowe3

Commendable
Oct 7, 2018
that just kills the power completely, like a hard reset, thats pretty normal for a no post. mine on normal operation would initiate the shutdown procedure just pushing the power button, it should cycle to off eventually if its not posted pushing the button wont make any change unless like you say you hold it
I've noticed the DRM_LED is red and stays that way. But I can't tell whether that's a CPU, RAM or PSU problem because I've disconnected the RAM swapped them around etc.

Last edited: