Question No Display post Bios update Asus Z170-A

rithrin

Reputable
Dec 8, 2017
Updated the bios of my Z170-A motherboard as it was boot looping my OS drive at windows logo, as well as only getting to windows logo of "windows recovery Environment" from USB flash drive.
This completed OK and restarted the machine.
After restart was presented with "CPU FAN Error" and to check settings in bios. I then Hit F1 to enter bios but PC just restarted.
Now have no display.

Have already tried:
- Reset bios with CLRTC
-Reset bios by removing cmos for 10 mins with now power to PC.
-Getting display with both onboard and GPU display with both HDMI and DVI.

Edit: have also now tried with a different know working PSU.

Additional notes:
-GPU is disconnected and using onboard display.
-All drives other than boot drive disconnected.
-All other peripherals disconnected.
-Ram and power supply have been tested on another PC and work fine.

Full System Specs:
Motherboard - Asus Z170-A Intel skylake
GPU - Asus Gefore Dual-GTX1060-6GB
CPU - Intel core I7 6700k 4GZ LGA1151
RAM - RipJaws V Series F4-2400c15d 8GB

Summery: PC was boot looping and failing to load "windows recovery Environment" From USB flash drive. So updated bios to attempt to resolve was fine for first boot "ish", now not getting to POST.

Any advice on this would be appreciated and thank you in advance.

Last edited:

sonofjesse

Distinguished
Does this board have dual bios so you can roll back?

Sounds like something went wrong with the flash. Any reason you flashing it? (sometimes best not to mess with a good thing especially if its old and running great).

You can try a lot and waste a lot of time, but if you don't have dual bios, or flashback mode, going to be easier to snag a used/new board and just slap it in.

rithrin

Reputable
Dec 8, 2017
Nope sadly no dual bios cant flash back. I did state the reason I flashed it but meh. But yha leaning towards just getting a new board at this point and upgrading my cpu while im at it. As even if I solve this it still will have the issue of not booting windows nor booting windows recovery Environment from USB