Dec 17, 2022
Hi everyone
I'm struggling to get any sort of display with the pc I just built.
So this is the issue:

The pc goes on, all fans are spinning once powered up but nothing shows on my desktop (no signal).
I'm using an ASUS Prime A320M-K mobo with a Ryzen 5 1600 AF CPU

I've done the RAM swap, that didnt help
I couldn't get the cmos battery out, and I kinda don't wanna go that route

I think it could be a BIOS update, but how can I update the BIOS if I cant get any display?

Help is much needed

DSzymborski

Titan
Hi everyone
I'm struggling to get any sort of display with the pc I just built.
So this is the issue:

The pc goes on, all fans are spinning once powered up but nothing shows on my desktop (no signal).
I'm using an ASUS Prime A320M-K mobo with a Ryzen 5 1600 AF CPU

I've done the RAM swap, that didnt help
I couldn't get the cmos battery out, and I kinda don't wanna go that route

I think it could be a BIOS update, but how can I update the BIOS if I cant get any display?

Help is much needed

Since this motherboard does not have a Flashback-type feature, you cannot update the BIOS without a compatible CPU.

DSzymborski

Titan
So is there any way to go about it?

There are a number of things you can do.

• Return the motherboard and get a different one that is compatible out of the box
  • Return the motherboard and get one that can update the BIOS without a compatible CPU
  • Contact ASUS and see what help they may offer
  • Find a local shop that can update the board for you
  • Borrow a compatible CPU
  • Buy the cheapest compatible CPU and use it to update the board
  • Contact AMD if ASUS doesn't help. Their CPU loaner program was explicitly for 400-series motherboards, but they assist if ASUS doesn't.
You can't, however, get around the requirement for a compatible motherboard/CPU. There's no quick fix that'll solve your problem without a bit of work here.

DSzymborski

Titan
Ah, I didn't even realize there was no GPU (that's why it's good to give complete specs).

This wouldn't have worked in a million years, even with a compatible CPU. You may still need to update the BIOS to get it working, but this was never going to happen without a GPU.

Reactions: Dre98
Dec 21, 2022
Dre, just so you're clear...there's no guarantee it will post just by adding a GPU. If you killed a component with electrostatic discharge during the build, it might not post. There's no sure-fire way to know until you start replacing components. Wrist straps aren't sexy, but they do serve a valid purpose... I know guys who have built 50+ systems and never toasted a component and never wore one, but I also know one who fried his CPU on his second build and he wasn't wearing one... FWIW, of the guys I know who wear them for every build, not one has had a problem with a build.

I'm in this forum because I am chasing down the same problem, and the only two components I haven't replaced yet are the CPU and the RAM. I'm probably going to have to spend time and money on a new 2600X. I'm fairly sure it isn't the RAM, but...