No Display! Read Description, please help

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Hello. I unscrewed my processor today to replace the Thermal paste. I screwed it back PROPERLY. Then I tried to start my PC and some kind of continuous sound started coming from mobo! It was not the beep from buzzer. I quickly turned off the power and checked that all the cables are firmly placed or not and I found that my ATX-CPU cable was too damn hot! I smelled it but it was not burnt. I plugged it again and tried to start my PC, when I pressed the the power button, all the fans from psu, gpu and cpu started spinning as usual. But there was no display! Lights of keyboard and mouse were also off! I tried booting from built-in display port after removing my gpu but still no display!

If u need any more details please ask me. Thanks in advance.

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
full system specs?

I'm also wondering if you unplug the ATX-CPU cable and power on, what the behavior is like.
Did you remove the CPU from the ZIF socket when you cleaned and applied paste?
Do you have any indicator lights present on the motherboard?
Do you receive any beep errors?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
Ok here we are. Let's start with system specs...
______
My rig:
-----------
Intel Xeon E3-1245 V3 @ 3.40GHz
IPM87-MP Motherboard
8GB RAM 1600 Mhz
500 Seagate HDD 7200RPM
Inno3d GeForce GTX 1060 6GB Twin X2
Corsair CX600 PSU
_________
My issue:
---------------

Today is unscrewed the heatsink over my processor, removed the processor from its socket, cleaned the old thermal gel, applied the new thermal gel, placed the processor in its socket, screwed the heatsink, tried to start my pc, a very strange sound was emitted from an unknown place on motherboard ( it was not the buzzer ), I switched off the power, removed all the cables, found that ATX-CPU cable was too damn hot, placed all the cables back, tried to start my PC again and all the fans started to spin as usual, there was no display, no lights were on on keyboard or mouse, there aren't any lights in my mobo.

2. Removed the battery from mobo and boot, same issue, no display

3. Removed ATX-CPU cable and tried to boot same issue, no display, all fans spinning, no lights from keyboard and mouse

4. Purchased a connector, from one end it connects to ATX-CPU port and on other end it connects to Psu's cable that have 4 pins, still same situation as described in number 3
( I did step 4 only to check that my atx cable is fried or not)

If you need anything else please feel free to ask. But please help me

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
For your CPU power cables to get hot, they had to be moving power. I'm wondering if something shorted, resulting in the sound you heard and the heat you felt. I know you didn't smelled anything burning, but it's possible for something like a capacitor to blow without smoking. Are any of your capacitors around the CPU bulging? Do the CPU power cables still get hot now? Is it possible that the CPU power cable was installed in the wrong direction at any point?

taimoorbaig382

Reputable
Jun 15, 2017
No capacitors bulging
No cables getting hot any more
Not any cpu cable was plugged in wrong direction
@smashjohn

Cleaned the Thermal paste still same issue
@scout_03

I am going to talk tomorrow. Bye ( I have to go, really urgent)

smashjohn

Reputable
Aug 14, 2017
It looks like you're adapting Molex Power to ATX Power. This is a problem as the Molex cable cannot provide sufficient wattage for your CPU. This is probably why the cables were overheating. Do you have a 4-pin ATX cable on your PSU that you can use?

TRENDING THREADS