No display signal from HD 6870

misterman73

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Hey all,

My computer is frustrating me pretty badly at the moment. I've tried everything I know to do and I still can't get it to work. I was hoping the collective expertise of everybody at Toms Hardware could point me in the right direction.

First, the build:

Mobo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
GPU: Sapphire Radeon Hd 6870
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8gb
HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb
PSU: Corsair TX Series CMPTX-650W

From the beginning.

I built this rig about two years ago. Performance greatly exceeded my expectations, and I was very happy with it. Fast forward to the issues. One day, the video card stopped sending a signal through hdmi to my monitor. Local computer service shop confirmed that the video card was dead. Last week, I sent it back to Athlon with an RMA request. Two days ago, they sent me back a new unit. Plugged it in, powered it up and got no display. Shut it down, restarted. This time, I received a display through hdmi. I was quite happy, and played games for a couple hours. Then, I shut it down and went to bed.

Today, I started it back up, dismayed to find that the video card was not sending a video signal. I took the video card back out, and then removed the cmos battery for 15 or so minutes. Plugged the cmos battery back in, put the video card back in, and restarted the machine. It displayed, asking me whether I wanted to press F1 to set up bios or F2 to use defaults. I pressed F2. The screen changed to "Windows Resuming," followed by the flashing "_" key. Then, the screen went dark. There was still a signal because my monitor did not go to sleep, but nothing was displayed. I restarted again, and then the monitor did not detect a signal.

That's basically where I'm at. I've been hoping it's my psu getting old, or some other simple fix, but I have no clue.

Thank you for your help.

petron007

Reputable
Oct 8, 2016
Hey all,

My computer is frustrating me pretty badly at the moment. I've tried everything I know to do and I still can't get it to work. I was hoping the collective expertise of everybody at Toms Hardware could point me in the right direction.

First, the build:

Mobo: ASUS M4A88TD-V EVO/USB3 AM3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition
GPU: Sapphire Radeon Hd 6870
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8gb
HDD: Western Digital Black 1tb
PSU: Corsair TX Series CMPTX-650W

From the beginning.

I built this rig about two years ago. Performance greatly exceeded my expectations, and I was very happy with it. Fast forward to the issues. One day, the video card stopped sending a signal through hdmi to my monitor. Local computer service shop confirmed that the video card was dead. Last week, I sent it back to Athlon with an RMA request. Two days ago, they sent me back a new unit. Plugged it in, powered it up and got no display. Shut it down, restarted. This time, I received a display through hdmi. I was quite happy, and played games for a couple hours. Then, I shut it down and went to bed.

Today, I started it back up, dismayed to find that the video card was not sending a video signal. I took the video card back out, and then removed the cmos battery for 15 or so minutes. Plugged the cmos battery back in, put the video card back in, and restarted the machine. It displayed, asking me whether I wanted to press F1 to set up bios or F2 to use defaults. I pressed F2. The screen changed to "Windows Resuming," followed by the flashing "_" key. Then, the screen went dark. There was still a signal because my monitor did not go to sleep, but nothing was displayed. I restarted again, and then the monitor did not detect a signal.

That's basically where I'm at. I've been hoping it's my psu getting old, or some other simple fix, but I have no clue.

Thank you for your help.
Have you ever found the solution to this problem, I know it has been years but hopefully you get the email notification for this one.

TRENDING THREADS