Question No display signal on first BOOT, but fixed after 1-2-3 restarts ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 6, 2021
Hello, i recently changed my motherboard and CPU and after that the first BOOT i do everyday the monitor doesnt receive any signal, but the PC works perfectly fine ( fans spinning, leds, everything works normal).
If i restart 1-2-3 times from restart button, i get video signal and everything works perfectly fine.

My configuration:
i5 11400f + MSI Z590 A-PRO + RX 6600 XT + 16gb ram DDR4 2133Mhz , 2 SSD

I updated the bios to last version, reseated the GPU, tried booting with only 1 RAM module, removed the CMOS battery and put it back, i checked the HDMI cable, i also disabled fast boot from power options " change what power button do" because i found that this fixed for somebody this problem.
On my previous Motherboard and CPU, this didn't happen, also my GPU is quite new( 4 months ) and im pretty sure i dont get this problem from the GPU.
I also use an adaptor for monitor that transforms my HDMI cable into DVI so i can plug it into the monitor ( because the monitor deosnt have display port or HDMI ports)

I have no ideea why this happens and it's quite annoying because it happens everyday, atleast it's fixing pretty fast after 1-2-3 restarts, but it's still annoying.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
There's no definite answer why but have you tried turning monitor on (from off, not standby) seconds after pc or vice versa?

Previous pc of mine, P8p67delux (Sandy bridge) with 1080ti using DP on Acer xb270hu had to turn monitor on moments afterwards for it to display. Not always but waiting was consistent. New system same gpu, z590 11600k that doesn't happen any more. So this issue is random.

Is there a tv you can try, just to see what happens?

Sep 6, 2021
There's no definite answer why but have you tried turning monitor on (from off, not standby) seconds after pc or vice versa?

Previous pc of mine, P8p67delux (Sandy bridge) with 1080ti using DP on Acer xb270hu had to turn monitor on moments afterwards for it to display. Not always but waiting was consistent. New system same gpu, z590 11600k that doesn't happen any more. So this issue is random.

Is there a tv you can try, just to see what happens?
Interesting ideea, i will try later and see what happens.

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
Hello, i recently changed my motherboard and CPU and after that the first BOOT i do everyday the monitor doesnt receive any signal, but the PC works perfectly fine ( fans spinning, leds, everything works normal).
If i restart 1-2-3 times from restart button, i get video signal and everything works perfectly fine.

My configuration:
i5 11400f + MSI Z590 A-PRO + RX 6600 XT + 16gb ram DDR4 2133Mhz , 2 SSD

I updated the bios to last version, reseated the GPU, tried booting with only 1 RAM module, removed the CMOS battery and put it back, i checked the HDMI cable, i also disabled fast boot from power options " change what power button do" because i found that this fixed for somebody this problem.
On my previous Motherboard and CPU, this didn't happen, also my GPU is quite new( 4 months ) and im pretty sure i dont get this problem from the GPU.
I also use an adaptor for monitor that transforms my HDMI cable into DVI so i can plug it into the monitor ( because the monitor deosnt have display port or HDMI ports)

I have no ideea why this happens and it's quite annoying because it happens everyday, atleast it's fixing pretty fast after 1-2-3 restarts, but it's still annoying.
I had the same problem with my previous build and I still couldn't figure it out what was causing it. My motherboard was also MSI. Later, I upgraded my system with new motherboad, CPU and memory. This time I got Gigabyte motherboad and since that, I never encountered this problem on my new build. I suspect it must be motherboard. Maybe MSI motherboads have this problem, I don't know...

Sep 6, 2021
I had the same problem with my previous build and I still couldn't figure it out what was causing it. My motherboard was also MSI. Later, I upgraded my system with new motherboad, CPU and memory. This time I got Gigabyte motherboad and since that, I never encountered this problem on my new build. I suspect it must be motherboard. Maybe MSI motherboads have this problem, I don't know...
Yeah, it's messed up and weird....

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Dean0919

Dean0919

Honorable
Oct 25, 2017
My old board was Asus so can't be brand specific. There's still a few things for op to try so we see.
Your situation was different. In OPs case and my case, we simply didn't have display signal on monitor even if everything was on and spinning in the system and only several attempts of restarts helped.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You said "had to turn monitor on moments afterwards for it to display ". This isn't how what was happening in mine or OPs case.

And if I hadn't done that, turned both pc and monitor on same time then pc would sit there fans spinning with no display. I discovered sequence in my circumstance and suggested it. I don't know if op tried that already.

Every circumstance is different, you couldn't relate exactly to op's situation any more than i can, so we suggest stuff that is rather close.

Sep 6, 2021
"Works normal" as in boots to Windows, or "works normal" as in everything looks fine but it does not boot? It's important difference. In former case your suspects are monitor, cable, adapter and maybe GPU. In latter case it looks more like motherboard problem.
I enter windows and stuff , play games do whatever i want without problems , even hitting 220-300 FPS on apex legends

Sep 6, 2021
I meant when you turn it first time and get no display, does it boot to Windows?
I press power button, everything starts spinning / working / lights from fans/ motherboard etc works GPU SSD, but no video signal to the monitor while the white VGA LED on motherboard stays on, after i press the restart button, PC starts normaly with video signals and boots into windows and from there everything is good

I press power button, everything starts spinning / working / lights from fans/ motherboard etc works GPU SSD, but no video signal to the monitor while the white VGA LED on motherboard stays on, after i press the restart button, PC starts normaly with video signals and boots into windows and from there everything is good
So you don't know if it boots or not. Ok, next time do it differently. Instead of pressing reset button try to log in to Windows blindly. Exact details how to do it depend on your Windows setup, but assuming you use password on your account you will have to type it blindly (luckily you can train that when you have display). After you do that, Windows should come up with startup sound so connect your speakers/headphones and check if you hear it (assuming you didn't turn that option off, check that when you have display). That way you will know if it boots or not. Come back with what you find, like I said it is important difference.

Sep 6, 2021
So you don't know if it boots or not. Ok, next time do it differently. Instead of pressing reset button try to log in to Windows blindly. Exact details how to do it depend on your Windows setup, but assuming you use password on your account you will have to type it blindly (luckily you can train that when you have display). After you do that, Windows should come up with startup sound so connect your speakers/headphones and check if you hear it (assuming you didn't turn that option off, check that when you have display). That way you will know if it boots or not. Come back with what you find, like I said it is important difference.
Oh yeah, good ideea, i will come tomorrow back with the testing

Status
Not open for further replies.