Question No display through HDMI, remote connection working. What's wrong?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I was running a deep learning model on my geforce gtx 1080ti. On random checks of my GPUs temp using nzxt monitor I found that it never went above 68c, the CPU temp also remained around 53c and the hard disks all hovered between 30c to 40c.

In the morning I found that my computer had suddenly shut off.
When I tried starting it it went through 3 to 4 restart cycles (each cycle ended with a d6 error, which I know means no display output found)
However the lights on the GPU came on and the fans also spun.

Eventually the computer starts with no display, however the computer works in remote connection (using TeamViewer or the other remote softwares I have installed)
But it obviously runs in 640x480 software rendering mode as the card cannot be detected.
I tried putting my card on another slot but got the same result. D6 error.

So is the card dead or is the PSU not being able to provide the required power to my GPU anymore?

I'm asking because I had been running my computer through a repaired UPS, but the UPS wasn't repaired properly I'm assuming as it would sometimes randomly shutoff when the load became a bit much

My system specifications are:
AMD Ryzen 1700x
Asrock Gaming K4 Motherboard
Gigabyte Aorus 1080ti Xtreme
Corsair Vengeance 32 GB RAM
I also have 1 nvme SSD, 1 data SSD and 1 data HDD

Thanks for any help

Lutfij

Titan
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. You might want to see if the GPU works in a donor system that has a reliably built PSU with more than 650W of power for the entire system(on the donor system, that is).

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU and it's age. You might want to see if the GPU works in a donor system that has a reliably built PSU with more than 650W of power for the entire system(on the donor system, that is).
Oh yeah sorry about that, it's an Antec True Power 750 watt gold. Got it with my GPU and the rest of the system only back in August 2017

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
UPDATE:
My friend let me borrow his GTX 1080 which is working fine on my system. Doom eternal on max settings and vulkan gives around 145 fps and Resident Evil 3 gives a stable 60 fps (vsync is on).
So in light of this new information, I feel that my GPU is gone, what are your thoughts?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
So I gave my card for repair. They said the chips gone bad because it overheated, i dont know how thats possible as every single temperature monitor I used never showed it going above 67 the maximum it ever peaked was 68.
What do you reckon could have happened?

dhruv990

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hmmm maybe they misdiagnosed it was from overheating? Or maybe it had a faulty sensor?
There are multiple things that might have happened actually. You would never be sure.

Was it under warranty? Have you got the card back?
Hi,
No it wasnt, and they said they cant repair it because the parts for it are unavailable now. So I'm going to get it back tomorrow.
I just wanted to know how it happened because if it was an issue on my part, I dont want to repeat it with future cards