[SOLVED] No display, tried everything to fix

Nov 17, 2019
The other day I turned the PC on and all the fans ramped up to max speed immediately and there was no video output.

Since then I have tried everything under the sun to get a display but no luck.

List of things I've tried -

New PSU
New CPU
Different motherboard
New RAM

PC Specs -

MSI gaming pro carbon z370 motherboard
i5 8400
EVGA 750w gold power supply
MSI armour RTX 2070 GPU

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Solution
Ok thanks. Say I did require a bios update to make it compatible, would this cause the no display issue I'm having? My thinking being my original i5 8400 was the issue and the i5 9600k not being compatible is masking the issue?
If the i5-8400 worked, it could be used to perform the BIOS update to allow the i5-9600K to work in your motherboard. The BIOS version must be installed BEFORE the new CPU will work.
Nov 17, 2019
I've taken everything out. I've currently only got the CPU and ram connected to the MB to try and get it to boot to the bios.
The monitor is auto detecting some sort of signal from the HDMI cable as it says a new device is connected but no video output at all

COLGeek

Cybernaut
The other board is a msi z370 pro. Not new but was known to be working before I put it away a few months ago
Understood. Concern was chipset compatibility with the CPU. Not an issue.

Are all of the parts in your current rig "new"? Intent is to isolate the likely culprit. Seems you individually swapped out nearly everything. BTW, did you reset the BIOS manually with the current config?

Nov 17, 2019
Understood. Concern was chipset compatibility with the CPU. Not an issue.

Are all of the parts in your current rig "new"? Intent is to isolate the likely culprit. Seems you individually swapped out nearly everything. BTW, did you reset the BIOS manually with the current config?

The new CPU I have tried is a z390 but my understanding is that it is still compatible with a z370 MB just without some z390 features?

I have removed the CMOS battery and tried replacing with a new one. Reset the bios by shorting the pins too.

Should also mention the MB has error lights for "RAM" "CPU" "GPU" and "BOOT". None of these lights are illuminated.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Once again, Z390 and Z370 are chipsets, used on the motherboard itself. Those are completely independent of the CPU.

The Z370 motherboard may require a BIOS update to be able to use the i5-9500 (can you verify the model)?

Also, what is the full, exact model of the motherboard you are using now?

Is it this one? https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON.html

If so, compatible CPUs and the needed BIOS for each can be found here:

https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/Z370-GAMING-PRO-CARBON#support-cpu

Nov 17, 2019
Ok thanks. Say I did require a bios update to make it compatible, would this cause the no display issue I'm having? My thinking being my original i5 8400 was the issue and the i5 9600k not being compatible is masking the issue?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If the i5-8400 worked, it could be used to perform the BIOS update to allow the i5-9600K to work in your motherboard. The BIOS version must be installed BEFORE the new CPU will work.

Solution
Nov 17, 2019
OK thanks that's how I understood it to be. My thinking now is my 8400 is faulty caused by a likley power surge. The 9600k isnt working because the bios needs updating which is giving me the same display issue. Problem being I have no way of updating the bios without a working CPU. My next move is to get a z390 MB to try?

Hope that makes sense I was thinking out loud

COLGeek

Cybernaut
If you can find a previous generation CPU that works, you can use it to update your BIOS.

If you go the Z390 motherboard route, be sure to confirm the BIOS version needs for your CPU in it. It should be compatible, out of the box, but best to verify.