No display via graphic card

Ayush Khemka

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
Just today I noticed this. When I plug my CRT monitor into my graphic card, it won't display, but when I plug it into the on-board graphics, it displays well. But then, my PCIe card won't show in device manager or gpu-z. I tried unistalling the driver, running driver sweep, and reintsalling again, but that didn't help. I do not have an extra graphics card. I am not even sure if this is my graphic card or my motherboard which is faulty, since I have lost audio in my PC since a long time, and it wasn't a software problem.
My computer specs:

AMD Athlon II X2 250
    ASUS M4A785D-M PRO
    AMD Radeon HD4200 in-built graphics
    Zotac NVidia GeForce 210 on PCIe slot
    4GB RAM (2GB x2 @1200Mhz, one of transcend and one of dynet)
    500GB Seagate SATA Hard disk

Solution
If the PCI-E slot is really dead then there is no other options left, but a new MB. BTW it can be repaired but I wouldn't suggest you that, cause there is no guarantee on how long it will work, maybe for three months, so it will be better if you replace the MB with a new one.

With a new MB you have to reinstall OS and you may need to re-activate OS, you can find help on MS site.

Here is a good one, if you are looking for one :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $94.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-24...
Remove the RAM sticks from MB, then start the PC, if you hear beeping sound, then the MB is probably ok, else its dead. But I think your MB is ok, else you wouldn't get the display with on-board graphics.

And I also think your GPU is faulty, that's why its not showing anywhere in PC. Try the GPU on another system if you can, it will make sure of faulty GPU.

Ayush Khemka

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
UPDATE: I plugged the system into my TV. HDMI didn't work for graphic card but worked when plugged in the on-board port. Then I took my friends ATI Radeon HD 4350 and tested it. Didn't work too. So I guess the PCIe slot is gone. Suggestions?

If the PCI-E slot is really dead then there is no other options left, but a new MB. BTW it can be repaired but I wouldn't suggest you that, cause there is no guarantee on how long it will work, maybe for three months, so it will be better if you replace the MB with a new one.

With a new MB you have to reinstall OS and you may need to re-activate OS, you can find help on MS site.

Here is a good one, if you are looking for one :

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

Motherboard: Asus M5A97 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($94.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $94.99
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-01-24 09:49 EST-0500)

Solution