[SOLVED] No display when booting with hdmi cable plugged into 4k monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Hi,

I have three monitors: 2 HD connected via dvi and 1 4k monitor (BenQ EW3270U ) plugged in via hdmi. This setup worked fine until I switched my motherboard and cpu today (I went from a gigabyte z97 gaming 5 with an i5 4690 k to a msi z490 pro a with an i9 10850k). Now whenever I start my computer up and the hdmi cable is plugged in, I do not get any display. I only get display (on my two HD screens) if I start the computer up with the hdmi cable from the BenQ unplugged. Once I start up, I can then plug in the hdmi cable to make use of my third screen. If I plug one of my HD screens in using the hdmi from my BenQ, there is no issue. I have tried lowering the resolution on the 4k. I have tried turning the power off on my 4k monitor when starting, but it I only get display if I remove the hdmi cable. I have also tried updating my graphics drivers and my bios... nothing has helped.

Does anyone have any idea how to fix this?

Thank you very much

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Should be Ok. Though HDMI refresh rate for i9-10850K CPU on 4K resolution seems limited to 30 Hz. Try to connect motherboard monitor with DisplayPort cable instead of HDMI.
I don’t have DisplayPort cable, so I’ll have to order one. It just doesn’t seem to make sense that I can’t get anymore display if it is plugged in on boot. This wasn’t a problem with my previous motherboard

elk123

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
No, I tried all of that, it didn't work. I may have just solved the problem by changing the BIOS from UEFI to CME, will update after a few reboots.

It is possible. Though BIOS does not have drivers, but HDMI display simply can't manage to recognize the signal source at time. There in TH and in Google search I noticed a bunch of questions about this topic - more related to 4K TVs but I believe it doesn't matter. Usual cause was UEFI or standard speed HDMI cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.