no display when GPU is powered but onboard graphics work.

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012
My pc is a year old I built it myself using all brand new components apart from the PSU which is about 2 years old. a few days ago I returned to my desk to find the display black, it would not wake up so I restarted and all seemed fine,until yesterday when the same thing happened but there was no display on resttart either. I tried plugging into the motherboard HDMI port still nothing,then I unplugged the power from the GPU only then did the display return.please can anyone advise me on how to pinpoint the cause . I suspect it is my PSU but not sure how to make certain. Any other info needed please ask.

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012

thanks for the suggestion ,what do you mean by correct? it has been working for a year with no problems up till now, surely it would have had problems before if the cables were attached wrong, do you mean the two PCI-E cables?

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012

thank you for the reply, I think a new PSU is on the cards too, I dont have another computer to test it on but plenty of components to set up a test bench breadboard setup so will probably try that the only thing is the only other GPU iI have is a few years old and draws a fraction of what the r9380 does, would that make any difference?

Yeah it does make a difference. R9 is power hungry. If you test your other gpu and it works then i would suggest that your psu does not deliver enough juice to your radeon R9 card. What is your other gpu btw?

f1nt1nt1n

Honorable
May 30, 2012

I have a few to choose from a hd 7870, an old gtx 560 TI, and a gtx 680 I think...I havent had the last one out of storage for a while so I may be mistaken. I have been looking at buying a new psu for a spare anyway so now seems to be a good time, any suggestions as to a decent reliable one in the £100 region?

TRENDING THREADS