[SOLVED] No display with more than 2 sticks of ram

fvxtonpc

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
I recently changed my CPU from Ryzen 5 2600x to Ryzen 7 2700x and the system works fine with only two sticks of RAM installed in DIMM A1 and A2 but if I try to do A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 it doesn't work, the system turns on and stays on but I get no display at all , I've tried the RAM in another system and it works fine, the RAM worked fine with the 2600x , I updated the bios and cleared cmos as well.

Specs for this system:
CPU: Ryzen 7 2700x
MOBO: Asus Prime B450M-A
GPU: EVGA RTX 2070
PSU: Thermaltake Smart 700W
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz 4x4 GB

Solution
ur Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz 4x4 GB (BLS4C4G4D240FSB) do not appear on the MB QVL therefor they have not been tested.
Not right. They most likely have been tested and are on the QVL. Listed under Corsair LPX or Kingston or even Gskill. The model number is meaningless, it simply says what heatsink, kit size and color arrangement, the pcb and IC's are the same SkHynix or Micron or Nanya or whatever had the cheapest contract. Crucial is Microns consumer house brand, but they do not use only Micron IC's.
I recently changed my CPU from Ryzen 5 2600x to Ryzen 7 2700x and the system works fine with only two sticks of RAM installed in DIMM A1 and A2 but if I try to do A1 and B1 or A2 and B2 it doesn't work, the system turns on and stays on but I get no display at all , I've tried the RAM in another system and it works fine, the RAM worked fine with the 2600x , I updated the bios and cleared cmos as well.

Specs for this system:

Your Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz 4x4 GB (BLS4C4G4D240FSB) do not appear on the MB QVL therefor they have not been tested.
The best RAM socket config are listed on page 1-9 in your manual.

I recommend returning what you have and get a kit (2x8) at 3000MHz-3200MHz that are listed on the MB QVL that are tested and known to work and preferably with Samsung b-die chips.

Here is your QVL: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/...y_QVL_For_AMD_2000_Series_Processors_B450.pdf

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2020

Specs for this system:
Make a new windows install. Somehow if you have 2 kits in a determinated slots and you move them to the other two slots windows won´t initiate. I used to have my memorys in A1/B1 and had to switch them to A2/B2 to solve a inestability problem but when i did it windows didn´t start as you mention. After i made a new fresh install of windows, i got the problem solved and everything works fine. Also my memorys aren´t in the QVL list of my motherboard and they work fine. My motherboard is an Asus Prime b450m-A2 with some Corsair memorys.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Ryzens use A2/B2 as primary DIMM slots. A1/B1 are secondary slots and usually capped electrically so you do not get full rated ddr4 speeds out of them, you'll only get at most 2933MHz, and if used as a primary slot can suffer instability when dealing with Infinity Fabric in the cpu.

Switching ram slots often requires a hard reset or clearing cmos to reset bios values internally, and using non-QVL ram can often require a bios/Agesa update to load relevant jedec tables and other ram data.

Just be sure to read the bios update notes, many bios have prior required updates Before continuing, so do Not just install the latest

fvxtonpc

Commendable
Oct 8, 2018
Yes my RAM kits match and I would use the other slots but anything other than A1 & A1 I get no signal on my monitor , I had no issue before installing the 2700x

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
ur Crucial Ballistix 2400mhz 4x4 GB (BLS4C4G4D240FSB) do not appear on the MB QVL therefor they have not been tested.
Not right. They most likely have been tested and are on the QVL. Listed under Corsair LPX or Kingston or even Gskill. The model number is meaningless, it simply says what heatsink, kit size and color arrangement, the pcb and IC's are the same SkHynix or Micron or Nanya or whatever had the cheapest contract. Crucial is Microns consumer house brand, but they do not use only Micron IC's.

Solution