Question No display with new mobo, new CPU, new RAM & SSD ?

noahfield_15

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
Over the past few months I have bought PC parts for a new build I'm doing to replace the computer I've had for the past 7 years or so. I consider myself fairly good with PCs, and am turning to forums as a last resort. I have the same GPU, but everything else has been replaced.

MOBO is MSI B550 A pro,
CPU is the ryzen 5 5600x,
RAM is 4x 8GB 3600 MHz vengeance LPX DDR4 (CMK16GX4M2D3600C18)
SSD is 970 EVO Plus, currently blank but going to be boot drive
GPU is MSI AMD RX580
PSU is 550W.

Once I installed all the components and double, triple checked that all the cords and cables and whatnots were all plugged in correctly, I tried to boot, and everything lit up but no display. Debug light said CPU, but when I rebooted it said VGA and then boot. Reseated RAM, reseated GPU, reseated CPU, checked all power cables, replaced HDMI cable. Had my old SSD in there from an intel rig, so I bought the samsung 970 one and tried with that and a windows USB boot device, but no luck, same symtpoms, except now the debug is literally random, sometimes it says CPU sometimes VGA sometimes VGA and CPU sometimes just boot, never DRAM though funnily enough.

Cleared CMOS by shorting and by removing battery, no luck either time. Tried to flash BIOS with a USB and the flash button, just incase BIOS was the issue, even though my board is b550 but the flash bios LED didn't stay on or flash, it just turned on when I pressed the button and then turned off again, so I'm not sure it worked. Tried different configurations of RAM, checked that MOBO was on standoffs and not case, tried other M.2 slot, googled and googled, and I can't find anything and nothing works. Is there anything I'm missing, anything anyone can think of to try, or do I literally just have to assume something isn't working and RMA everything one by one? Thanks in advance for anyone's help. Cheers.

If you have access to one....I would first swap in another PSU.
All those symptoms can be caused by low voltage.
It may be all that it is.

Other than that I would suspect....wrong BIOS...or bad motherboard next....but I would rule out PSU first.

What is make model and age of PSU?

noahfield_15

Commendable
Dec 22, 2018
If you have access to one....I would first swap in another PSU.
All those symptoms can be caused by low voltage.
It may be all that it is.

Other than that I would suspect....wrong BIOS...or bad motherboard next....but I would rule out PSU first.

What is make model and age of PSU?

Hey, thanks for the response mate, sorry I've been a little busy. The PSU is a 550W mpx 5501 acaab from coolermaster, about 2, maybe three years old? Was working perfectly fine in my previous system. Is the wattage too low for the CPU, or could it be damaged? Thanks in advance mate.

Here's a link to the PSU for reference. Cheers.

Latest posts