Question No Display with Powered GPU?

Sep 5, 2020
I recently bought a GTX 1060 6gb for my machine, I did have an R9 270x previously and thought it had crapped out a while ago so had been running an old GT 630 in the meantime as we use my machine for streaming TV as well. The GT 630 displays fine but the GTX 1060 will not display anything and yes the 6 pin pci-e is plugged in.

I just bought a new PSU as I thought the power supply could be the issue. But nope still same thing so I've gone back and tried the R9 270x also a r7 260x and also getting same issue. Fans are spinning on all the cards and computer is running just no display. The fact that the GT 630 runs makes me think it is not the motherboard either but unsure why it will run and the powered GPUs won't. Any ideas be appreciated.

System...
Mobo gigabyte 78lmt-usb rev 5.0
CPU FX 6300
8gb of RAM
PSU EVGA 600 br

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

How old is that EVGA BR PSU? What was the prior PSU's make and model and age? Check and see which BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard. Version of OS, assuming you're on Windows 10? Use DDU to remove prior GPU's drivers?

Reactions: SharkAttack258
Sep 5, 2020
Hi Lutfij

Thanks for reply. The PSU is brand new as of yesterday. The previous PSU was a EVGA 500 br, it was several years old, like 4-5+. The mother board is running Award Software FA. I can't find any newer version through Gigabyte site than the 2013. I've flashed the BIOS and reset it. And yeah running windows 10, I did try DDU initially when I had the 500w PSU in, I also did uninstall the driver through device manager when I out the 600w in. Just as a side note I am running 4 HDDs and a SSD and a optical drive. I have done a power consumption calculator and 600w should still be plenty. Potentially all 3 cards are somehow not working properly (the r7 260x was pulled from working machine), or maybe something is faulty and draining power, or I'm just missing something.

Sep 5, 2020
Update... I've run the GTX 1060 and the R9 270x on another machine similar to mine and they are working fine. Put them back in my machine, unplugged everything except main SSD and still nothing. Plugged the old GTX 630 back in that doesn't require a 6 pin and running fine. Can a pci-e slot be damaged in some way that would run a unpowered card but not a powered one?

Burigeller

Reputable
Sep 16, 2020
Update... I've run the GTX 1060 and the R9 270x on another machine similar to mine and they are working fine. Put them back in my machine, unplugged everything except main SSD and still nothing. Plugged the old GTX 630 back in that doesn't require a 6 pin and running fine. Can a pci-e slot be damaged in some way that would run a unpowered card but not a powered one?
Usually the Cards should boot up without any PSU cable connected. Try booting into BIOS or wont it even show that? Because if you get past that point of having anything on your screen it could be that it just takes some time to install drivers and stuff since its like 4 gens newer than your old card. Maybe try that. You said it worked on another machine? What exactly is different from your machine to the other one? It cant be a PCI-e slot since the other card is working just fine, maybe the GPU is faulty or the one HDMI/DP slot youre trying to use is dead or unusable for whatever reasons.

Reactions: SharkAttack258
Sep 5, 2020
It won't show anything on screen off my machine. No BIOS anything, I did try the whole leave it for a while to see if it would install, but nothing. Other machine has a Asus m5a97 board, I think the CPU is athlon quad core, 16gb of ram, coolmaster 650w. It did have an RX580 in it, before I tested the 1060. 1060 also ran off the HDMI on his and loaded bios and right through to windows. I guess could be really unlucky and the new PSU on mine is faulty on the 6 pin and my old PSU as well but nothing else.

Sep 5, 2020
I've also just tried the PSU out of the other machine to see if it is something wrong with my PSU and that doesn't work either so has to be something wrong with the way the driver is trying to install or the mobo