Question no display - Working Asus gtx 960 2gb

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
Bought a gtx 960 plugged in secured everything, turn on no display. LED on,
Sent the card to a computer shop to test it for me and was confirmed working fine.
My old gtx 550 ti runs with no issues.

Things ive done.
  • updated bios to latest version
  • reset cmos
  • set bios from auto to pci-e display
  • run single ram stick (swapping slots)
  • reinstalled windows

Specs:
MOBO - GA-78LMT-S2P (rev 5.0)
AMD-FX 6300
2x4GB DDR3 RAM
Asus GTX 960 2gb
Corsair CV550

More modern cards can often have some issues in Legacy BIOS motherboards.

I have an EVGA GTX 960 that normally takes a full minute to POST in a Legacy BIOS motherboard, and I've always just figured it must be the UEFI part of its hybrid vBIOS having to time out first. After that, it works just fine but this depends on how well the card detects that UEFI is really not there (in particular many Sandy Bridge systems had some EFI features but were not truly UEFI and this can trick a hybrid vBIOS). The last card to always work for sure in all Legacy BIOS motherboards was the MSI GTX 750Ti which had a physical switch to force Legacy mode by letting you select a vBIOS with no UEFI compatibility at all.

960 is also 120w so needs the 6-pin auxiliary power plugged in, but after POSTing that would display a message if it's not.

mrwise

Commendable
May 16, 2020
Thanks for the info I didn't known about the UEFI bios I guess its just bad luck.
The motherboard supports my 960 card apparently and other people get 1080s in this motherboard some how.

P.S.
I manage to find my old gtx 950 that i thought died, but it turns out the dvi died and the hdmi still working and showing display atm, so ill just sell the gtx 960 for now.
Thanks.