Question No Display

Mar 15, 2019
I just recently built a new gaming PC. Fired it up for the first time, and had no Display through the HDMI. I tried the HDMI in the mobo and in the GPU. After some headache, I removed the GPU and started it back up. Integrated graphics worked fine and I was able to see everything, install Windows 10, etc. On first startup, it turned itself off and back on a couple times in the first few seconds but has since stabilized and runs fine. I'm not sure if the issues could be caused by the PSU or by something else. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Mobo: Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7
CPU: Intel 8700k w/ h100i liquid cooler
GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2060 Gaming OC Pro
PSU: EVGA 750 G3
RAM: 2x8g 3200 cas 16 Corsair Vengeance
Storage: Seagate 2tb HDD, PNY 120g SSD for boot and Samsung 860 Evo 500g SSD

Mar 15, 2019
Was the card fully connected, including the power cables? If that board has multiple pcie slots, try a different slot.
Card was fully connected to the PCIE as best I could tell. I tried to disconnect and reconnect multiple times. It was also fully connected to the PSU, as the LEDs on the unit were lit up. There are 3 slots, so I'll try them. Is there any difference in performance from the PCIE 16 to to 8 and 4?

greenmrt

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Card was fully connected to the PCIE as best I could tell. I tried to disconnect and reconnect multiple times. It was also fully connected to the PSU, as the LEDs on the unit were lit up. There are 3 slots, so I'll try them. Is there any difference in performance from the PCIE 16 to to 8 and 4?

Use the PCI Express x 16

A few power cycles on first boot of new build is normal. Usually just memory training being performed, ect. What monitor are you connecting to? Any displayport option or cables/adapters included with 2060 to test? That's a great setup you have put together, just have to figure out this problem.

Have you installed latest UEFI for your build? Also, Nvidia cards need at least x8 slot electrically to work. Performance wise, small loss vs x16 in reviews I've seen. How much can vary on game, but still very minimal.

Mar 15, 2019
A few power cycles on first boot of new build is normal. Usually just memory training being performed, ect. What monitor are you connecting to? Any displayport option or cables/adapters included with 2060 to test? That's a great setup you have put together, just have to figure out this problem.

Have you installed latest UEFI for your build? Also, Nvidia cards need at least x8 slot electrically to work. Performance wise, small loss vs x16 in reviews I've seen. How much can vary on game, but still very minimal.
My monitor right now is an ASUS 1080p monitor. It's about 5 years old, but has never had issues and works fine with the integrated graphics and my previous PC as of yesterday. And no, I haven't connected to the internet at all yet, so I haven't downloaded any new drivers. The GPU and Mobo both have the Displayport option, but I don't have a cable to test it.

OK. Possible it's a DOA card. Integrated working fine seems to point to that. You're using quality brand parts as well. Should just "work" out of the box. Just upgraded my old 970 to 2060 in Ryzen X470 setup few weeks ago. Just a swap, and worked fine after quick driver install. Though unlikely some kind of odd compatibility, perhaps try hdmi to TV? Otherwise, you would need another card to test, or web access to download uefi onto usb to flash(unlikely to fix, but worth a shot)

greenmrt

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
The device won't show up in device manager, as when the card is connected, I have no display. Only way I can get display is to remove the card and use the mobos integrated graphics.

Houston, we have a problem. First, starting with the obvious, make doubly sure the PCI tab has been unlocked and the power supply is one:eek:ne with the pins required. If that doesn't get you going,
  1. Do you have any unidentified items in your device manager that could be be the Graphics Card.
  2. When the graphics card is in and you boot, does the span start to spin? (Is power sent from the power supply).
  3. Do you have an old card you can test in that slot?
If it's hardware, it could be a bad motherboard, bad card, or bad powerline for your PSU. If you have an old card you can test in the slot, it'll help you get closer to figuring out the issue at that point.

3(1).png

1-min(1)_1920x998.png

Mar 15, 2019
Houston, we have a problem. First, starting with the obvious, make doubly sure the PCI tab has been unlocked and the power supply is one:eek:ne with the pins required. If that doesn't get you going,
  1. Do you have any unidentified items in your device manager that could be be the Graphics Card.
  2. When the graphics card is in and you boot, does the span start to spin? (Is power sent from the power supply).
  3. Do you have an old card you can test in that slot?
If it's hardware, it could be a bad motherboard, bad card, or bad powerline for your PSU. If you have an old card you can test in the slot, it'll help you get closer to figuring out the issue at that point.

3(1).png

1-min(1)_1920x998.png
The card is fully connected. The fans spin, so it's getting power. I haven't checked the device manager, but I would assume it wouldn't be there since I won't be able to view it without the card being removed.

Mar 15, 2019
I tried different cables. I tried the cables in a different VGA slot on the PSU. I'm not sure what the old card is, honestly. Just some old Radeon card I got in my Alienware x51 back in 2014. And there's no noticeable difference when it powers up with the card or without it. Everything comes on, the fans start running like normal.

greenmrt

Distinguished
May 19, 2015
Ok... triple check the setting in your BIOS to make sure the PCIEX16 is set to be the first display

Initial Display Output
Specifies the first initiation of the monitor display from the installed PCI Express graphics card or the onboard
graphics.
IGFX Sets the onboard graphics as the first display.
PCIe 1 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX16 slot as the first display. (Default)
PCIe 2 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX8 slot as the first display.
PCIe 3 Slot Sets the graphics card on the PCIEX4 slot as the first display

OK. We know the old card works. Not much left outside of board problem with the slots or power itself from PSU. Still, multiple slots and cables makes either of these situations odd. Tried new card in old system just to verify that? Any way that the cards aren't quite seating correctly in new system from case, ect.?

Mar 15, 2019
I'm fairly confident that the cards are seating fine. They both clicked in. I did however just get a d4 error code on the mobo, which means "PC resource allocation error. Out of resources."

Any way to test 2060 in old setup to be 100% sure? I would also consider disconnecting any additional hardware outside of minimum to narrow down some odd hardware conflict. In other words, disconnect your storage drives from motherboard and use only 1 stick of RAM. It's not unheard for an odd compatibility issue with certain components together. If no luck there, it points to a motherboard issue affecting PCI-E, or and issue the new PSU.

Mar 15, 2019
Well, I started up with integrated graphics, updated everything I could. Turned it all off, hooked up the GPU, restarted and nada. Started to take it out again, and thought I might as well try the HDMI in the GPU with the current setup... And voila! So I guess all is well now.