[SOLVED] No display

Dec 24, 2019
I just bought some upgrades and now no matter what components I use I’m getting no display at all but Cpu and cooling fans are powering on

ryzen 5 3600 /phenom 1090t black edition
B450 gaming plus max/asus m4a87td
Sapphire nitro R9 380x gpu
16gb Corsair 3200 vengeance pro rob or 8gb Samsung ram
Corsair CX650 psu

on the new motherboard the ez debug leds flash to confirm recognising the cpu and ram and then stay off but a vga light stays on

the msi websites says the buzzer codes on start up mean a gpu problem and suggests reinstalling the graphics card. Obviously that did nothing

the Asus website says the buzzer mean a gpu problem also and suggest checking its getting enough power

But I’m baffled at how my gpu got broke in switching components.

Really appreciate any help

I did find a guide on here for troubleshooting and tried everything

Last edited:
Solution
Yeah, looking like it could be the graphics card not compatible, shame if it is coz it's a decent card. Would be handy trying another from someone you know with a more modern card to be sure.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
You're using the first pcie slot for the 380x yeah?

Check pcie cables are connected properly at both ends, gpu and psu.

Fyi, 3600 doesn't have igpu capabilities, mobo video ports only work with apu cpus, ie; 2400g, g for graphics.

check your bios version - it may not support the new Ryzen out of the box.
luckily this board has to ability to flash a newer bios w/o the need for the cpu.

also make sure you've connected the ATX/EPS cables securely

https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/B450-GAMING-PLUS-MAX#down-bios

I just bought some upgrades and now no matter what components I use I’m getting no display at all but Cpu and cooling fans are powering on

ryzen 5 3600 /phenom 1090t black edition
B450 gaming plus max/asus m4a87td
Sapphire nitro R9 380x gpu
16gb Corsair 3200 vengeance pro rob or 8gb Samsung ram
Corsair CX650 psu

on the new motherboard the ez debug leds flash to confirm recognising the cpu and ram and then stay off but a vga light stays on

the msi websites says the buzzer codes on start up mean a gpu problem and suggests reinstalling the graphics card. Obviously that did nothing

the Asus website says the buzzer mean a gpu problem also and suggest checking its getting enough power

But I’m baffled at how my gpu got broke in switching components.

Really appreciate any help

I did find a guide on here for troubleshooting and tried everything

Dec 24, 2019
I’ll check out how to do it n give it a try

It says on the mobo box cpu support for 1st, 2nd and 3rd gen ryzen. Maybe I’m being stupid but that means it works out the box with my 3600 right?

Dec 24, 2019
I tried both suggestions. Still got the same vga debug led, same long and short beeps, still no display

I tried clearing the motherboard cmos by removing the battery for 15 mins. I assume that’s correct

Dec 24, 2019
yes I’ve tried ram A couple of different ways

Well I dunno about those beep codes. It’s 1 long and 2 short. the user manual on msi website says

“1 long 2 short beeps are heard, remove and reinstall the graphics card and then restart the computer.”

Dec 24, 2019
I’ll check the pins later in the morning

remember I said I’ve tested 2 motherboards with different cpus and ram. All was working fine before I tried to upgrade and now neither build is working. The only shared components across the 2 builds are the psu and gpu. Is there any chance this could be a psu issue?

Dec 24, 2019
Well I’ve ordered a gigabyte rx 5700. 1 I’m hoping it fits in my case, 2 I’m hoping my 650w psu is enough

hopefully we’ll know the culprit soon

I’d grown attached to my r9 380x as well 😂

Dec 24, 2019
Ive just installed the new graphics card and everything works fine so obv the old one had died somehow :(

Thanks for helping me everyone

Have a great new year