Question No display

avenirk9

Reputable
Aug 8, 2018
Hi, I’m having an issue with my new cpu. I just upgraded from an i3 8300 to an i5 9600kf. I was looking on whether to get the k or kf and many say (also with benchmarks) that the kf runs slightly better. Regardless of this, I installed the kf and have no display and have no idea what to do anymore. There are no bent pins, bios is updated, all drivers are updated, tried resetting cmos, unplugged everything, did all that ram swap stuff, updated my gpu display drivers, etc. to no avail. I’m not sure what to do at this point since my pc boots just fine when I put my i3 back in. It’s only with my i5 that it boots and all peripherals and fans turn on, yet doesn’t display anything just sits there running. It shuts off instantly after simply pressing the power button (normally you’d have to hold it for 5 seconds). I know the kf doesn’t have integrated graphics but I do have my gpu connected and the cord is plugged into the gpu and not the motherboard. My motherboard also supports 9th gen chips and it says on MSI that the kf works. I bought this motherboard just last may so it should already have the latest bios (which it does on the website). If you have any ideas, please help! Thanks!

i3 8300 (old)
I5 9600kf (new, has issues)
Gtx 950
20 gb ddr4 ram
Msi z390 a pro
Cooler master fans/cooler
Kingston 240gb ssd
2tb WB HDD

Tigerhawk30

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2015
Hi!

I noticed that you said your PC has 20GB of RAM. This is an odd number. I do realize that you've said that you'd done "...all that ram swap stuff", but can you simply put two (and only two) exactly matching DDR4 modules into the corresponding slots and see if it boots from there?

Otherwise, my only other suggestion is to return the i5 for a replacement. You simply might have a dead CPU.

Hope this helps, if only slightly. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS