Question No displays, no USB, new mobo

stevemacky

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2016
This morning I woke up my PC from sleep state and my (2) monitors did not turn on. They both worked perfectly fine last night. The PC is quite clearly on, fan LEDs are on, fans are running, CPU Fan, GPU fan, GPU LEDs are all operating, it's making your typical PC operating ticking and humming, which leads me to believe PSU is fine. Also seems like the USB slots are not working, my keyboard capslock does not toggle on and off. Without displays, hard to confirm if the wired mouse functions. Keyboard functions when plugged into the laptop as well.

Some steps I have taken in troubleshooting below:
  1. Made sure power cables & monitor cables are plugged in and working.
  2. Tested monitors by connecting to laptop, both monitors show display when connected to laptop.
  3. Cleaned out my case, removed all dust.
  4. Disconnected monitors from GPU, plugged 1 HDMI into integrated mobo HDMI slot. Still no display.
  5. My mobo was flashing red LEDS, at first 3 LEDs were on (CPU, DRAM, BOOT were red, VGA was off), I opened my PC and re-seated all connectors and components (Except CPU). After this, only the BOOT LED was red, the rest were off.
  6. Some googling led me to trying to reset CMOS. I held a screwdriver to the 2 prongs for 15 secs. Tried again, no displays. Removed the battery for 5 mins, replaced, turn on, still no displays.
  7. With the red LEDs on, and the integrated HDMI not providing any display, I came to the conclusion my mobo was toast. I went and bought a new mobo. Unconnected everything, installed new mobo, reconnected everything. turned on the PC (after fiddling with the fpanel +/-'s for way too long). AAAAAND Still no display. Again, the PC is clearly running, humming away, all lights functioning, just no display. There are no LED prompts on the new mobo this time.
  8. Unconnected 2 monitors from GPU, used the integrated HDMI slot on my new mobo, still no display. This makes me think the GPU is fine as well.
  9. I've since tried to go bare bones, only onboard HDMI, no GPU - 1 screen, 1 stick RAM / then 2 sticks, 1 SSD with windows. Still nothing.
I don't know what else it could be though. I don't have a 2nd GPU to test out. Short of buying a new GPU that I really don't want to do... I'm at a bit of a loss, I can't find anymore google solutions. Does anyone have any ideas.

PC Spec:CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor
*(OLD) Mobo - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 ATX AM4 Motherboard
*(NEW) Mobo - Gigabyte B550M DS3H Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory
Storage - Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage - Crucial P2 500 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
GPU - MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Video Card
PSU - Corsair CX650M 650 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply

Colif

Win 11 Master
i would take PC to a repair shop before spending any more money on parts. Get them to swap GPU or CPU into it.

Disconnected monitors from GPU, plugged 1 HDMI into integrated mobo HDMI slot. Still no display.
Unconnected 2 monitors from GPU, used the integrated HDMI slot on my new mobo, still no display. This makes me think the GPU is fine as well.

Your CPU doesn't have any integrated graphics cores so it can't run the HDMI connections on the boards. the CPU in the 3000 series don't have igpu cores, You need a graphics card to see a picture.

Motherboards don't have graphics chips on them, they just have the connections in case the CPU does. If you had an AMD APU it could output graphics through them. The new 7000 series CPU have igpu in them now.

Does USB seem to work on new board?

Last edited:

stevemacky

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2016
i would take PC to a repair shop before spending any more money on parts. Get them to swap GPU or CPU into it.

Your CPU doesn't have any integrated graphics cores so it can't run the HDMI connections on the boards. the CPU in the 3000 series don't have igpu cores, You need a graphics card to see a picture.

Motherboards don't have graphics chips on them, they just have the connections in case the CPU does. If you had an AMD APU it could output graphics through them. The new 7000 series CPU have igpu in them now.

Does USB seem to work on new board?
Hi Colif, thank you for the reply.

Yes, after posting, I've been scouring other posts and saw that HDMI on the mobo is typically not a valid test as you mentioned. However the new motherboard I bought does have a DVI port which I tried without the GPU installed and the same issue persisted. I'm not sure if that is a valid test or not, based on your second paragraph, I would say still not a valid test.

The USB still did not function with the new motherboard installed.

I also learned that the PSU might be the culprit here. I assumed with fans running and humming ongoing that the PC was operating and there was just a display issue. But, the issue I described appears to be quite common and it sounds like my PC isn't POSTing? I don't have sound on the case, so I can't tell if I'm getting any beeps. In most cases I came across, resetting CMOS was the solution, but that's not working for me, and even with a new motherboard, didn't work.

I suppose a repair shop is the best solution for me.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Any ports on the motherboard rely on the CPU having integrated GPU cores. I have the same CPU as you do, it won't show any picture without a graphics card attached.

No USB could also mean the problem is the power supplly. If you low on power, generally the 2 things to go first are USB and display. The PC tries to ensure the most important parts get power, those being CPU & memory.

stevemacky

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2016
I tried a new PSU and the issues persisted, no display, no USB. Off to the repair shop this evening. Once I get a diagnosis, I'll provide an update incase it can help anyone in the future.