No Drive letter for second drive.

I installed a second hard drive and windows XP will not assign a drive letter
to it. It is shown in the Bios. In the Device manager it is shows both
drives. Also in Disk Management it shown both drives but the second drive
has no drive letter and right clicking it will not allow me to assign a
letter. How do I get windows to assign a drive letter?
--
Thanks
Tree Saver

Format it?

Tree Saver wrote:
> I installed a second hard drive and windows XP will not assign a
> drive letter to it. It is shown in the Bios. In the Device manager
> it is shows both drives. Also in Disk Management it shown both
> drives but the second drive has no drive letter and right clicking
> it
> will not allow me to assign a letter. How do I get windows to assign
> a drive letter? --
> Thanks
> Tree Saver

The hard drive cannot and will not appear (nor will it have a
drive letter) in Windows Explorer or My Computer until it has been
partitioned and formatted. Right-click My Computer > Manage > Disk
Management. Create and format one or more partitions on the second
hard drive as desired.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

First, partition it. Then format it.

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 16:51:48 -0400, "Mike Hall"
<mike.hall.mail@sympatico.ca> wrote:

>Format it?
>

>"Tree Saver" <TreeSaver@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>>I installed a second hard drive and windows XP will not assign a drive
>>letter
>> to it. It is shown in the Bios. In the Device manager it is shows both
>> drives. Also in Disk Management it shown both drives but the second drive
>> has no drive letter and right clicking it will not allow me to assign a
>> letter. How do I get windows to assign a drive letter?
>> --
>> Thanks
>> Tree Saver

Partition and format