andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Hi all,i really need your help,i have just built a new pc and decided to run the new Intel Rapid StorageTechnology. I have already got it working once but here is were it all went wrong. I overclocked my cpu using the Asus software and got a overclock of 4.5Ghz. I powered down the pc but the next day it would not boot into windows,i tried safe mode but nothing,i tried many reboots but nothing. So i decided to start from scratch. Formatted,went into the bios,set hard drives to Raid and restarted. It got to the point where it asks where you want to intall windows but the trouble is that there are no drives detected. If i dont set to raid then they show up. Ive reset the cmos,reset bios to default but as long as i set to raid then the drives dont show up. I need to do it this was,if not the RST wont work. Any help at all would be greatly appriciated.
Asus P8-Z68 GEN3
Core i5 2550k 3.4Ghz
Corsair H80 cpu cooler
Corsair Vengence 8Gb ram
WD 500Gb Blue HDD
Corsair 64Gb SSD
Sappire 7950 OC
OCZ 1000W PSU
Many Thanks

RAID Drives originally showed up, but now trying to re-install Windows, they won't show up during the install?

Windows 7 install?

You shouldn't need to install a "third-party" controller during install with that mobo (I have the same one, RAID and all, just not a Gen 3). But try using the install DVD from Asus to install the iRST driver. Install it again after Windows install is successful (God willing), but use the latest one from Intel (v10.8.xxxx??).

It may be the mobo. You said you reset the CMOS? Try removing the battery for a couple minutes.

Good Luck!

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Yes,it is a windows 7 64bit install and i have removed the battery for at least a hour,reset the jumper as well,i will try what you have suggested and see what happens. Many thanks for the reply.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Tried to install the irst from the asus cd,it would not install,the thing is i cant install windows,then install irst and then enable Raid because the irst wont work,doing it that way only works on a Gigybite board. Its saying that the cache device associated with the accelerated disk/volume is not present,the thing is it is present because when i dont enable raid it shows up. I think its either the MB or the SSD or both :(

Ok, I just reread your OP.

You aren't setting up RAID, you are setting up a SSD as a cache drive, using iRST. Totally different story.

Set the BIOS to RAID, don't set up any drives in an array. Secure Erase the SSD, and probably the HDD, however you need to do that (Format will work, but is bad for SSD. But once won't kill it. Try DISKPART and clean all function.). You'll have to reinstall the OS to the HDD, then install iRST in order to set up the SSD as your cache drive. Then RAID post during boot should show your drive (HDD) as accelarated.

Or, you need to remove the cache drive settings during RAID post during boot up. And reinstall, run, or activate the iRST settings in Windows.

Good Luck. Cheers.

andy_93

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
The HDD shows up as accelarated but disabled,i phoned the shop where are brought all the parts from and they want me to take them back to be tested,i was ment to go today (14.3.12) but last night i thought i would give it one last go before i started to take my pc apart and low and behold the damn thing worked,i did nothing different,it just worked,cant work it out. I am about to install some games,so i will see how it goes.
Many thanks for the advice,if i have trouble again,i will have this for reference.
Cheers.

uNick

Honorable
May 1, 2012

Hi! I'm having the same problem as andy_93. After accidentally selecting my C:/ partition as an active drive, windows won't boot. I tried to reformat my computer but it doesn't detect any drives at all. I only manage to repair my boot drive after changing the BIOS setting to AHCI. After the repair, I tried to change the SATA setting back to RAID in my BIOS but it doesn't detect any drives once again. Currently all I'm able to do is to change my BIOS setting back to AHCI in order to use my computer. At least it's working but I am unable to use iRST. Any idea what I'd need to do to be able to reinstall windows in RAID?

TRENDING THREADS