Question No drives detected to install Windows on ?

Jan 6, 2023
Hi everyone
Yesterday I built a new PC (PC1) but I have some issues regarding (I think) my motherboard. I booted it up for the first time, everything normal, and I did the standard procedure: configure BIOS, plug in boot thumb drive, reboot pc and install windows on M.2 using thumb drive. Great, everything worked. Once on Windows, I adjusted the usual settings in Windows 10, downloaded some programs (discord, steam, NVidia...) and decided to update my BIOS.

Here is where things went wrong. I loaded the BIOS update file onto a USB and loaded it onto my Mobo using Asus' EZ Flash 3. The update went smoothly and my computer automatically restarted. Now, however, it detects my M.2 SDD on my motherboard, but not as a boot drive.

I kind of panicked as I've never seen this before and quickly did some Googling on my laptop to see what went wrong. There are some settings that could prevent the M.2 SSD from showing as bootable in the BIOS (like CSM and Secure Boot) so I changed what Google said, but it was to no avail.

Now I started thinking it was better to just boot from the thumb drive and reinstall Windows, so I tried that, but when it gets to the point where I have to select which drive I want to install Windows on, none show up! I know the drive should still work because I have another PC (PC2) and when I put the drive into PC2, it booted just fine. I also took the boot drive from PC2 and put it in PC1, but it won't boot there. I thought it maybe had something to do with the M.2 format, so I took a SATA SSD from PC2, put it into PC1, but again it didnt show up in the 'Choose a drive to install Windows onto' module.

At this moment, after dozens of articles and video's, I've lost hope. I think I need to replace the Mobo and that sucks really bad, but I wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation I hadn't tried yet.

If it helps, here are the parts I used in PC1: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vdvDsL

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since you have two SSD's on your platform, you're advised to remove the one you don't intend to install the OS onto. Also, provided you're on the right BIOS version for your motherboard, did you clear the CMOS after successfully updating said motherboard BIOS?

Jan 6, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Since you have two SSD's on your platform, you're advised to remove the one you don't intend to install the OS onto. Also, provided you're on the right BIOS version for your motherboard, did you clear the CMOS after successfully updating said motherboard BIOS?

Thanks for the reply but that didn't work. Today a brand new drive will be arriving so I hope that that makes a difference but I doubt it will.

EyyMunchian

Honorable
Dec 28, 2016
Hi everyone
Yesterday I built a new PC (PC1) but I have some issues regarding (I think) my motherboard. I booted it up for the first time, everything normal, and I did the standard procedure: configure BIOS, plug in boot thumb drive, reboot pc and install windows on M.2 using thumb drive. Great, everything worked. Once on Windows, I adjusted the usual settings in Windows 10, downloaded some programs (discord, steam, NVidia...) and decided to update my BIOS.

Here is where things went wrong. I loaded the BIOS update file onto a USB and loaded it onto my Mobo using Asus' EZ Flash 3. The update went smoothly and my computer automatically restarted. Now, however, it detects my M.2 SDD on my motherboard, but not as a boot drive.

I kind of panicked as I've never seen this before and quickly did some Googling on my laptop to see what went wrong. There are some settings that could prevent the M.2 SSD from showing as bootable in the BIOS (like CSM and Secure Boot) so I changed what Google said, but it was to no avail.

Now I started thinking it was better to just boot from the thumb drive and reinstall Windows, so I tried that, but when it gets to the point where I have to select which drive I want to install Windows on, none show up! I know the drive should still work because I have another PC (PC2) and when I put the drive into PC2, it booted just fine. I also took the boot drive from PC2 and put it in PC1, but it won't boot there. I thought it maybe had something to do with the M.2 format, so I took a SATA SSD from PC2, put it into PC1, but again it didnt show up in the 'Choose a drive to install Windows onto' module.

At this moment, after dozens of articles and video's, I've lost hope. I think I need to replace the Mobo and that sucks really bad, but I wanted to see if anyone had a recommendation I hadn't tried yet.

If it helps, here are the parts I used in PC1: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vdvDsL
Are you able to flash the BIOS back down to the previous version you were using and test that by chance?