Question No drives found on boot up ?

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
This morning tried to boot up but my Dell T7500 Desktop Workstation into Win 10 Pro like every morning...

At the pre boot I got a few lines where it says a few fans are not going and no drives are found.

MPT Boot installed.
Alert: Unable to initialize fan controller
Front chassis fan fail
Rear chassis fan fail
CPU 2 Fan Fail
Hard Drive Fan Fail
Air Temp sensor not detected

I checked, and every fan is definitely going.

It also sees my 4 drives in pre Bios

I choose the F2 for the Bios setup, which also shows the drive at the top of the boot sequence, but in the next Disk section it doesn't show the drive at all, only the CD drive.

In Bios it is set to AHCI not ATA. Is that correct ?
In Bios Disk section it says drive type unknown.

When I boot in again the pre boot does show the drives,(ID 2 LUN 0 Vendor ATA) etc then in later lines it says..

'Failed to Detect one of more drives'

Then after F1, I get 'No operating system was found'. Of course it wasn't as no disc was found.

The data cables are plugged into the HDD ports 0 to 3, not into the 3 SATA ports

Any guidance please?

EDIT: Well I thought I fixed the fan problem by taking the power lead out and holding the power button down for 30 sesc then repower it, it still comes up after telling me it cannot find the drives

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Quite possible that the PSU has failed in some manner and not providing power or proper power to the drives.

Update your post to include full system hardware specs and Window 10 version information.

PSU: make, model, wattage, age, condition (original, new, refurbished, used)? History of heavy gaming use?

Will the workstation boot into safe mode?

Will the workstation boot with only the boot drive installed?

Try installing a new CMOS battery just as a matter of elimination.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
Thank you for the reply.
The box is a Dell Precision Workstation T7500 with Bios A18 and Win 10 x 64 21H1 o/s.
PSU 1100 watts Dell H1100-EF-00

I have had it 8 or 9 years and it has been excellent No gaming.

It will boot into a Win 10 drive but the drive is on it's way to heaven so I don't want to use it untilI get the box working correctly again.
I am waiting on a clone to try it.

At the moment I am trying to get it to recognize any drive at all in BIOS and to see why the time keeps resetting.

At the beginning of this problem, I changed the CMOS battery.

I get this message at boot,.
MPT Boot installed.
Alert: Unable to initialize fan controller
Front chassis fan fail
Rear chassis fan fail
CPU 2 Fan Fail
Hard Drive Fan Fail
Air Temp sensor not detected

and at the end of these lines, 'Can't find disks'.

They are plugged into rte HDD o to 4 ports on the mobo and the CD is in the SATA 0 port.

It is set to AHCI though I have tried the AA setting too with the same result.

Mian thing is I need to stop those Fan messages and have BIOS find the disks.

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
I have spent days on this and have finally got to a better place.

I took a Win 10 x64 os drive out of another box and it has booted up fine in the T7500 and has been running well for a few hours.

I am still getting the loud fan noises and that is what I need to concentrate on now trying to fix.

I did the .. take power lead out, hold down power switch for 30 plus secs then re connect power lead etc. It worked once and since then it doesn't work.

I get the Fan Controller and other fan errors on boot just before I choose the Win 10 option.

Here is some info which may help.

The power switch is constant green. The PSU switch is constant green, front chassis lights are all off once Win is running.

On start up. At the Dell logo, the blue status line stops about half an inch in at the character C in Precision, then after 30 plus secs continues and then goes into the pre boot motion.

It finds the drive and stops a few secs after MPT boot found when the ..

Alert: Fan Controller and other fan info is shown.

I press F1 and it boots into Windows 10 okay.

The fan noise is the same the whole time it's running.

What is the next thing for me to correct the fan messages please?

Thank

oz

ozrock

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2008
It seemed I wasn't getting anywhere, so I thought I'd try to Clone my original o/s drive again this time using True Image in another Win PC so that the drive wasn't alive with the o/s operating like before.

It still told me about the bad sectors and I had little hope that it worked.

Anyway I made it the boot drive in bios and had it as the only drive in the box and sure enough it booted.

All the pre bios stuff was still there such as the Fan Controller however it booted.

The Win ,logo with the black screen, then it died and a few minutes later came back with the white text that it is fixing the partition that wasn't the one with the o/s on it.

Maybe 15 minutes later it rebooted and there it was, all my original icons on the two screens !

tested it with HDSentinel and it came up as 'Perfect' and it was also okay in UserBenchmark.

It updated Win to 2H1 from 1H1 and now says all updates okay..

There is still a Win problem where I cannot type into many of the Win o/s admin boxes, like Search or Settings etc.

Just dead, however it is a Win problem not a disk one and I have searched to see how to fix.

One happy chappy tonight!