NO DVI SIGNAL/black screen when loading games GTX 970 STRIX Help!!

Nko

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
Hi guys, i just that upgraded my gpu from a GTS 450 to a gtx 970 strix.
My rig is the following:
-Processor: Core i5-4670K
-Ram : G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
-Hard disk Seagate Barracuda 3TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s
-Mobo: ASUS MAXIMUS VI HERO LGA 1150
-CPU cooler : COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 EVO
-Shell: CM Storm Trooper - Gaming Full Tower Computer
-SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB
-Power supply: XFX PRO 850W
-Mouse: Razer DeathAdder 2013 Ergonomic PC Gaming Mouse
-Keyboard : Microsoft SIDEWINDER X4
-Monitor : ASUS VG248QE Black 24" 144Hz 1ms

I checked the power source , as well as drivers, ( uninstalled them like 3 times and tried downgraded drivers , it didnt work )

My problem is that when i load a game like dota2 or cs go just before the match starts, the screen goes black and says no DVI signal. To secure taht it wasnt the card i tried it at a friend´s house and it worked good with his rig. ( he had win 7 and a GTX 670)
PLS I NEED HELP, TRIED EVERYTHING AND IDK WHAT TO DO.THANK YOU

Solution
I'm sure you googled that around and see a few guys with 900 cards run in to that no single or lost dvi or any port for that matter ?

all you can do is what you can and maybe try another card to see if its the 970 for sure or it maybe just down to a rma ?

http://hardforum.com/threads/asus-geforce-gtx-970-dvi-d-not-working.1836967/

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=402725

plenty more on this around [dvi/display port / hdmi all can fail ]

good luck
When you turn on the computer are all the fans running? Do you have a speaker installed so you hear the boot beep that confirms your computer has successfully booted.

Well I have looked up the motherboards compatibility and I found two ASUS Strix's on the list so I don't know if either of these are the one you have:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/parts/video-card/?compatible_with=asus-motherboard-maximusvihero#sort=d3&page=1&c=186
If the list resets but the filter on for 'GTX 970' then press the keys CTRL+F together and type 'STRIX' into the box that shows up and press ENTER.

So I'm guessing your not able to get to BIOS by constantly pressing the 'DELETE' key, that or you just can't see it.

Have you uninstalled all old drivers if their were any?

Take out the card and try to run off integrated graphics (plug HDMI into motherboards slot) then go to bios and check that PCIE is set to default then look for PCI GEN TYPE and put it from AUTO to GEN 3 and then if that does not work try GEN 2 (this does not have any graphics card performance hit)

Let me know if anything changes?

Nice rig

Go get the software 'Driver Sweeper' and actually remove all the display drivers and all the left over crud, then restart as that will officially wipe all deleted data on the your storage devices. You may of reinstalled so many times that you have buggered up the drivers.

Also have you installed all the windows updates as many of the updates are for component compatibly with programs, this software is called Microsoft Net-Framework.

Does this only happen in CSGO and DOTA 2 (I have to say I have seen a lot of posts about these games lately) and have you verified the cache for both of these games as of which should for a reinstall of the net-framework and redist packages.

Nko

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
It happened on the games i tried ( dota 2 , cs go , far cry 3 blood dragon , skyrim) but for example i am watching streams for like 3 hours now and no black screen. It only happens when i try to play a game.

Nko

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
When i turn the computer the fans from the card are not running. Yeah i have the speaker and it comfirms that the pc has successfully booted. I chekec the compatibility and they are compatible. Actually i tried the card at a friend´s house and it worked good. I uninstalled every old driver. I dont think is from hardware probably win 10 or drivers. Ill try your suggestion and tell you if it worked.

Nko

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
It doesnt change of resolution, im thinking the error comes from win 10 or the driver because i tried the card at a friend house and it worked good.

ok and at your friends house its the same computer and monitor and all as you use ,right ??

http://steamcommunity.com/app/570/discussions/0/38596748366710716/

last guy say's known bug way back then?? set everything to a supported resolution and hz say 1024x768@ 60 or 1924x1080 @60 some games may not be optimized for newer monitors like 144hz or supported at the time the games were released

like I was saying older games I have and run did not have all these nice hd flat screens when they were released so I got to set things to where everything is in sync .. so like one game I can only run at 1024x768 cause the higher res. the game is for older analog monitors and not the same as newer digital but 1024x768 is supported by all - also I got settings like wide screen and dot to dot and what ever so as well it may not display at the wide screen where it will set at dot to dot and so on ...

that's why I said you may need to find all settings that everything will run on and supported [then it maybe a win-10 thing as crappie disliked and chocked full if issues as it is ???]

anyway good luck

https://www.videoparades.com/list/dota+2+resolution+problem+black+screen/

Nko

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
not same monitor i have an asus vg248qe he has a ben q xl24, but same motherboard and most of the stuff

Nko

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
new driver. Perhaps with it i wont have the black screen/ no dvi signal.
EDIT: NOP, it didnt solve. i still get the black screen and no dvi signal when loading a game.

chesterman86

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

Did you solved the problem? If yes, could you share your solution with us? =)

ohbeone

Commendable
Mar 9, 2016
It is likely the power supply as it's not even on the list of PSUs that would be able to handle your setup. Check out this list. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

I bought the same card with an ASUS Z97-AR mobo and i7 4790k. I've never actually been able to buy the latest and greatest components before and I didn't realize how specific the power supply needed to be. I put the rig together and upon plugging in my nostromo controller, the screens went black. After unplugging the controller and giving it some time it came back up and stayed on for a day while I continued to install things on my fresh install of Windows 10 on my brand new SSD and then I was running Starcraft 2 and even though this rig should kick it's butt, something looked funny about the graphics. Then I got black screens again.

This time it didn't come back until I unplugged one of my monitors. (It actually happened to be a VGA with a DVI Adapter plugged into the first VGA ready port). Since I had one screen I went back to a restore point which was pretty much right after windows was installed (before even installing my wireless software). I tried plugging in the second monitor and instantly the working one went black.

I went to work yesterday and told the story to my co-workers and one of them who is a PC enthusiast said it's probably my power supply. I was running a Corsair 750 Watt CX750M. You'll notice on that link it's in tier 4 and it specifically says "Not for gaming rigs or overclocking systems of any kind. " Oops.

So I was able to exchange it for EVGA 220-G2-0850-XR 80 PLUS GOLD . Oh my gosh. I hooked up the new power supply and it was like I had a new system. The second monitor came back, Windows 10 itself was running even smoother even my wireless downloaded faster cus before I had downloaded The Division (Came free with the card) and was waiting for 9pm so I could try it and I had the problem at like 7:30. So since I had done the restore point I had to download again and it was screaming fast. Ran the game for an hour no problems, smooth frame rate, cool temps. The system is beautiful. I thought 750 watts was plenty (which as just a number it is) but if you don't get a tier 1 or 2 PSU especially if you have a Haswell based CPU (look that up, haswell power requirements) you're asking for issues. If you haven't resolved the issue, try a new power supply. I highly recommend the one I got and it's extremely well rated. Better even than the Platinum in the same family.

I'm sure you googled that around and see a few guys with 900 cards run in to that no single or lost dvi or any port for that matter ?

all you can do is what you can and maybe try another card to see if its the 970 for sure or it maybe just down to a rma ?

http://hardforum.com/threads/asus-geforce-gtx-970-dvi-d-not-working.1836967/

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=402725

plenty more on this around [dvi/display port / hdmi all can fail ]

good luck

Solution

TRENDING THREADS