No email notification - squeaky-wheel notice!

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Justin,

Sorry for the redundant squeaky-wheel thread, but I can't seem to get further responses from anyone on staff. I haven't received any email notifications for 28 days. Is anything being done by BoM's developers to fix this bug? Any information or updates you have would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Comp :sol:

CompuTronix

Intel Master
I was under the impression this problem was already reported. From my previous thread - October 6th:

Are there any new developements?

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hi,

I just heard back from my tech team, and they are pretty confident that comcast is blocking the mails (even though you asked them and they said no). They are going to research it more to try to see if they can confirm this hunch.

Justin

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Justin,

Thanks for the update. Since Comcast is one of the largest ISP's in the US, it would seem to make sense that if they were blocking emails from Tom's, there would be many more Forum Members coming forth with complaints about email notifications.

Coincidentally enough, however, I just received email notifications for 4 threads! :D I'll let you know how the trend progresses, or if there are any intermittent disruptions, just as others have mentioned.

justinblue

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2008
Hey,

It turns out that comcast was blacklisting some of the IPs of our e-mail servers. They are confident this will be fixed asap. It sounds like they might have fixed it already!

Thanks for letting me know about this, even though it took some time to get solved :)

Justin

CompuTronix

Intel Master
Thanks, Justin.

Emails from Tom's have been rolling in very consistently, and match 1 for 1 against checking "See my threads". I'm not much surprised that when I spoke to Comcast, they were clueless. I'm sure your team knew "who" to speak to at Comcast, which is proof once again that in many instances, it's about "who you know"! :D

Regardless, thanks again for your help,

For what it is worth, I now seem to get the e-mails. I did two things in anticipation of windows 7:
1) I changed my e-mail program from windows mail to windows live mail.
2) I ran the disk cleanup program which got rid of lots of temporary stuff and other things.

Because I have SSD, I disabled defragging. Otherwise what is the problem with windows cleanup?

Ahh... makes sense. Which SSD would this be? X25-M,Vertex,etc?

As for Windows Clean up, it's slow (takes like 5-6minutes to get rid of junk lol) and leaves stuff behind (mainly some CAD program temp files) in my case, hence why I run CCleaner, which gets rid of that CAD temp files AND it's takes only like 2 minutes. (Btw, I'm assuming you are talking about the built in Disk Clean Up util built in to Windows). At any rate, I run CCleaner every week or after a long session on CAD/CFD (SolidWorks,Inventor,Thermal Desktop,etc).

randomizer

Champion
I have had it delete over 3GB before and it still only takes a few seconds. The real slowdown was in XP (and maybe Vista?) when it used to scan for old files to compress before it showed up the dialog with the space that could be freed. Windows 7 doesn't have that, so it's quite fast.