No .exe files will run

XP SP2

I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.

I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no malware.

Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?

Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?

Thanks

Jackie

Can't open EXE files
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

"Jackie" wrote:

| XP SP2
|
| I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
| message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.
|
| I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
| malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no malware.
|
| Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?
|
| Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?
|
| Thanks
|
| Jackie

..com gives the same message - no file association...

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" wrote:

> Can't open EXE files
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;555067&Product=winxp
>
> --
> Carey Frisch
> Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP - Shell/User
> Microsoft Newsgroups

> "Jackie" wrote:
>
> | XP SP2
> |
> | I have a computer which has suddenly stopped any .exe files running. The
> | message about 'no program associated with this type of file' appears.
> |
> | I removed the drive and installed it in another computer to allow virus &
> | malware scanning. One virus was found by AVG - 'Collected.6.L' and no malware.
> |
> | Any ideas what could have happened to stop .exe files running?
> |
> | Is there any way I can re-associate .exe files without reinstalling WXP?
> |
> | Thanks
> |
> | Jackie

Click Start, Run and type Command.com
Type "c:\windows\regedit.exe"

Fix the .exe association here:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.exe
Set the (default) to exefile

Goto:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\exefile\shell\open\command
Set the (default) to the following *exactly as given below*

"%1" %*

Close Regedit.exe

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP