[SOLVED] no fan control after 1660S bios flash

Feb 9, 2021
Hey,

I bought the 1660 super ventus xs oc a couple of months ago. Biggest problem with the card was it being so loud as the fans are spinning at a minimum of 44% (bios limit). I solved it temporally by removing the fans and ziptie ing a case fan onto the heatsink.
However as a i am looking for a better fix at this moment, I'm trying to flash another 1660S bios which has a 0 rpm mode (or lower fan limit). Therefore i used the following tutorial: View: https://www.reddit.com/r/ZOTAC/comments/f6yn8m/tutorial_flashing_msi_gtx_1660_ti_gaming_x_into/

Only thing was that windows kept installing a driver after i came back from save mode to uninstall those drivers. I solved this by also doing the rest of the steps in save mode. However, the problem that i have now is: regulating the fan speed. I tried multiple bios versions for the 1660S and they all install fine, however when i came back into windows and installed graphics drivers the fans shoot up to 100%. I then installed the graphics drivers in save mode, partly solving the problem. The fans are now at 25% (inaudible) when i started windows, however when i try to regulate them in Afterburner they shoot up to 100% and stay there. This also happens when i start to play a game, after some time they immediately go from 25% to 100%. They never come back down, unless i power off the computer and turn it back on.

At this moment i have the following bios installed: https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/222521/msi-gtx1660super-6144-191113-1
This is another MSI bios which has a 25% limit, which shows up in afterburn fine. However like i said i cant do anything in afterburner. I don't think the problem is the GPU bios at this point as if i change it back to the original one the problem persist. Anyone has an idea how to fix this?

Last edited:
Solution
OK ill try it again.

Any tips for how to fix the problem i previously mentioned?

When i go to save mode to run DDU and i return to normal windows the NVidia driver automatically installs.
So what i did last time was flashing the bios in safe mode as well.

I tried to disable automatic driver installations in windows settings and disabling windows store in the background apps.
But still windows store downloads and installs the NVidia driver.
First flash the original BIOS in any way you like, I would do it with linux live USB.
Then do this:
  1. Remove any GPU tuning tools you might have (MSI afterburner and alike). Reboot.
  2. Download the latest and greatest driver from the manufacturers' website, but do not run it...
Feb 9, 2021
Thanks for your response,

I tested the original bios already, it was not an assumption.

So even it i wanted to i can't go back to the it and have a solved issue.
However i don't want to go back, i understand what you are hinting at but for me the card is just worthless when it is so loud. I spend most of the time on the computer with non-graphics intensive workloads and I'm willing to take the risk.

I should have checked if it had an 0 rpm mode but i did not, I then could not return it because everything else was out of stock.

Thanks for your response,

I tested the original bios already, it was not an assumption.

So even it i wanted to i can't go back to the it and have a solved issue.
However i don't want to go back, i understand what you are hinting at but for me the card is just worthless when it is so loud. I spend most of the time on the computer with non-graphics intensive workloads and I'm willing to take the risk.

I should have checked if it had an 0 rpm mode but i did not, I then could not return it because everything else was out of stock.
I would still try to restore the original BIOS, clean all profiles and drivers using DDU (important step), and fresh install the original driver.
The fan control address might be different between those boards and is getting fed garbage when you tinker with it.
I do not see how the fact that you do not like the card design explains why you try to break it :)
I would restore it back to the original functionality and sell it for getting the one I like.

Feb 9, 2021
OK ill try it again.

When i go to save mode to run DDU and i return to normal windows the NVidia driver automatically installs.

I tried to disable automatic driver installations in windows settings and disabling windows store in the background apps.

OK ill try it again.

First flash the original BIOS in any way you like, I would do it with linux live USB.
Then do this:
  1. Remove any GPU tuning tools you might have (MSI afterburner and alike). Reboot.
  2. Download the latest and greatest driver from the manufacturers' website, but do not run it.
  3. Disconnect the internet (disable the network adapter) so nothing will auto-download or install. No need to tinker with windows store settings, don't waste your own time.
  4. Reboot into safe mode with DDU and clean out every driver it may find
  5. Reboot normally and install the driver you downloaded earlier
  6. Reboot and enable the network adapter
What other problem do you refer to?

Solution
Feb 15, 2021
I followed that tutorial as well, with an ASUS GTX 1660 Super. The fan is spinning at 3000 RPM no matter what the fan curve in AB is set to. I even tried every 1660S BIOS on that website just to see if any made a difference.

No matter what I can find I cannot make the fan quiet. It is vaccuum cleaner loud at 3000RPM.