No fans spin up but motherboard lights up

Ryan_H

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014
So today I got a new FX-6300 and a new m5a97 LE r2.0 motherboard and began to assemble it. So I put the CPU in, got the CPU fan on, plugged in the CPU fan as well and put my RAM in. I also plugged in my power supply to the motherboard. So the problem is the motherboard lights come on and so does the GPU light, but none of the fans spin up. We have also connected the monitor to the GPU but nothing happens on screen? I've tried with no GPU and RAM in as well. Any help will be nice =P

We are currently connecting everything outside of the case as well.

Solution
Sounds to me like components are not getting proper power from the motherboard. (Yes, your GPU has separate power connectors, but it still requires power through the PCI slot to function). Make sure your power cable is connected to the motherboard properly - when I built my current system I was absolutely sure I had plugged that connector in securely, TWICE, and it turned out it still had not "clicked in" properly.

That's kind of a longshot, though, since you're clearly getting *some* power to some areas of the board. My suspicion is you have a bad motherboard. You might try exchanging it.

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Which fan's are you referring to? CPU? GPU? Case Fans? If case fans's (Since there is no reason CPU and GPU fans shouldn't work if plugged in correct places), sounds like you are definitely missing a few connections somewhere. Make sure you followed the Motherboard manual when connecting the Case Fans, no harm to double check the CPU fan to make sure it's in the correct place, all is normally labelled on the motherboard. Definitely recheck everything and make sure to follow the Motherboard's manual, make sure all fans are connected to Motherboard/PSU and try everything again.

For the picture not showing up, could be related to why the rest of the fans are not running but if not, then make sure you have your GPU connected with the correct Pin connector.

Ryan_H

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

The CPU fans as well as the GPU fans will not spin up when we power the system up. The light on the motherboard and the GPU come on but nothing spins up. We have the system outside the case at the moment just to test everything so nothing to do with the case fans. We did follow the motherboard's manual. All the connections are in the right place as well

Ryan_H

Reputable
Mar 8, 2014

The GPU is not faulty we had it tested at a store and it worked fine.
CPU-FX-6300
GPU-Asus r9 270
Motherboard-M5A97 LE 2.0
RAM-4x2gb not sure of the brand
Windows 7
Power supply-3 Year old antec 650w (we also tried a brand new corsair 500w power supply still didnt work)

alannm37

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2013
Well I've just checked compatibility on PCPartPicker and it seems all good. I also checked on the motherboard's site and your CPU is fine for the motherboard so I don't know what else it could be. Would be no harm to maybe put it all in the case and get everything together and test it again....? Let me know.

tardis42

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Sounds to me like components are not getting proper power from the motherboard. (Yes, your GPU has separate power connectors, but it still requires power through the PCI slot to function). Make sure your power cable is connected to the motherboard properly - when I built my current system I was absolutely sure I had plugged that connector in securely, TWICE, and it turned out it still had not "clicked in" properly.

That's kind of a longshot, though, since you're clearly getting *some* power to some areas of the board. My suspicion is you have a bad motherboard. You might try exchanging it.

Solution