no fax console choice in Program Menu

Trying to help a friend receive a fax - he has XP Home on a Dell Laptop but
had to reinstall everything due to hard drive failure.

I told him to go to Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Fax -> Fax
Console. He says there is no choice of Fax Console, only Fax Cover Page
Editor and Send a Fax.

He connects up to a phone line when he wants to fax. This did work
previously.

From reading other posts, this seems to be an issue with SP2?? I myself,
although not needing to fax as I have a cable modem, have installed SP2 on
Windows XP Pro and do have a choice of Fax Console on my menu.

Thanks.

It's not an issue with SP2. I have XP Pro on both my Sony SR27K notebook
and my Motion M1400 tablet, I've updated both machines to SP2, and The Fax
console functions just the same as it did before the SP2 upgrade on both
machines. Under 'Start|Printers and Faxes|Printer Tasks, does it say "Send
a Fax" or "Set up Faxing"?

Hal
--
Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com

"m2005" <m2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Trying to help a friend receive a fax - he has XP Home on a Dell Laptop
but
> had to reinstall everything due to hard drive failure.
>
> I told him to go to Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Fax ->
Fax
> Console. He says there is no choice of Fax Console, only Fax Cover Page
> Editor and Send a Fax.
>
> He connects up to a phone line when he wants to fax. This did work
> previously.
>
> From reading other posts, this seems to be an issue with SP2?? I myself,
> although not needing to fax as I have a cable modem, have installed SP2 on
> Windows XP Pro and do have a choice of Fax Console on my menu.
>
> Thanks.

Okay, I spoke to my friend. He does not have the Printers and Faxes choice on
the right hand side of the Start menu under Connect to and above Help and
Support.

He uses an Epson combination printer/scanner which is working. He is able to
fax out and receive faxes but through a long convoluted method going through
Control Panel , Printers and Hardware, etc., etc., instead of simply going
thru Start, Programs, Accessories, Fax.

Does that help explain the situation? Thanks.

"Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]" wrote:

> It's not an issue with SP2. I have XP Pro on both my Sony SR27K notebook
> and my Motion M1400 tablet, I've updated both machines to SP2, and The Fax
> console functions just the same as it did before the SP2 upgrade on both
> machines. Under 'Start|Printers and Faxes|Printer Tasks, does it say "Send
> a Fax" or "Set up Faxing"?
>
> Hal
> --
> Hal Hostetler, CPBE -- hhh@kvoa.com
> Senior Engineer/MIS -- MS MVP-S/U -- WA7BGX
> Still Cadillacin' - www.badnewsbluesband.com
>
> "m2005" <m2005@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Trying to help a friend receive a fax - he has XP Home on a Dell Laptop
> but
> > had to reinstall everything due to hard drive failure.
> >
> > I told him to go to Programs -> Accessories -> Communications -> Fax ->
> Fax
> > Console. He says there is no choice of Fax Console, only Fax Cover Page
> > Editor and Send a Fax.
> >
> > He connects up to a phone line when he wants to fax. This did work
> > previously.
> >
> > From reading other posts, this seems to be an issue with SP2?? I myself,
> > although not needing to fax as I have a cable modem, have installed SP2 on
> > Windows XP Pro and do have a choice of Fax Console on my menu.
> >
> > Thanks.

'Control Panel|Task Bar and Start Menu|Start Menu|Customize|Advanced', add a
checkmark to the "Printers and Faxes" checkbox in the "Start Menu Items"
list; this will add the "Printers and Faxes" choice to the right hand side
of the Start menu.

Hal