[SOLVED] No front fans issue help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
Hi I have just received my new cooler master lite 3.1. Which has no fans in the front.

The issue is I need to add a fan in the front of the case. But I am not sure if my motherboard B450M PRO M2 MAX supports pins for the front case fans? Like where would I plug in the additional fans ?

If you are out of fan ports....you can use a splitter provided the total current load per fan header doesn't go over the limit of the motherboard which many times is 1 amp.

If this isn't possible....you could also run the fan directly from the PSU and it will run at 100% all the time.

Just two ideas.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
If you are out of fan ports....you can use a splitter provided the total current load per fan header doesn't go over the limit of the motherboard which many times is 1 amp.

If this isn't possible....you could also run the fan directly from the PSU and it will run at 100% all the time.

Just two ideas.

Yes I could use the PSU to power the additional two fans on the front of the case. As the back fan which comes with the motherboard is plugged into the only socket fan available on the motherboard.

If I used the PSU to power the two additional fans which I will need to buy. Will it be the 4 pin power connecter cable from the PSU?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
As long as it has an available molex connector.
All you are trying to do is get 12 volts from the PSU to the fans.
You could actually do it with wires if you cared to solder...but this would be easier.
So you personally, think buying 2 fans for in take for this case. With extended molex connecter from psu with 3pin connectors on the end of molex extender which connects to psu molex.

This is better than buying a whole new case and sending this one back?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
No.
That would be like saying you hard drives are still on when the PC is powered off.
That same molex connecter can be used to power hard drives.
Ok, also I have been looking around. The molex extender only has 2 pins for the fan. And I've been looking at front Pannel fans for the case and they have 3 pin connections.

Does this mean the fan connection won't connect to the molex pin extender as the extender only has 2 pins as the fan has 3 pins?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
I think that's because the third (the middle one) would be for the tachometer....and because you are connecting directly to the power supply you don't need a tachometer signal.
That's ok then. As the fans have 3 pin and the splitter only has 2pin. So this would be ok?

And the modex cable on the PSU is 4 and modes cable on splitter will be 2. Is this ok?

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
I think that's because the third (the middle one) would be for the tachometer....and because you are connecting directly to the power supply you don't need a tachometer signal.

overall this is what I will purchase:

Fan x2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12...3?keywords=120mm+pc+fan&qid=1584119789&sr=8-3

Sp-litter cable: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirek...rds=4-pin+molex+3x3+pin&qid=1584117447&sr=8-3

And this splitter will connect to my 4pin connector on PSU? As the splitter is a 2pin connection.

Thank you so much for helping me.

Just confusing as the power on PSU molex has 4pins. While the splitter has 2pins to connect to the PSU molex which is 4pins.

Then the fans has 3pin connector but the extender only has 2pin connector. So the fans will still power without that extra power connector I guess.

Just a little bit confusing lol.
You only need power from two of the 4 pins on the power supply.
The other two are for 5 volts.
You don't need those.
That's why there are only two wires.
The two wires you need are 0 volts and 12 volts.
Those two wires go to the 0 and 12V terminals on the fan which is why you only have 2 pins at the fan....because you only need two. You don't need the third which is a tach.

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
You don't need those.
Those two wires go to the 0 and 12V terminals on the fan which is why you only have 2 pins at the fan....because you only need two. You don't need the third which is a tach.

Ok thank you. I will order two of the fans which I listed on Amazon above and 1 splitter. Thank you :)

danielm175

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2016
You don't need those.

So these will work to clarify.

Fan x2: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ARCTIC-F12...3?keywords=120mm+pc+fan&qid=1584119789&sr=8-3

Splitter: https://www.amazon.co.uk/KabelDirek...rds=4-pin+molex+3x3+pin&qid=1584117447&sr=8-3

If you say that's correct will order xD

I suggest you get a splitter that it's directly connected to the motherboard fan header.
That way you could control the fan speed automatically or manually.
A 120mm fan uses around 0.25A, so could could safely have 3 fans connected to the motherboard fan header.

Status
Not open for further replies.