No graphics output recognition, even after CMOS reset

Dec 6, 2018
Preface: I've been searching on the forum and found a lot of similar issues, yet I haven't seen a solution that has been working out for me. Thus I create this thread.

/INTRODUCTION TO MY ISSUES/

My GPU died. Every time I installed a graphics driver, it would mess up my Windows system, so that it would crash and restart at the load screen with the Windows logo, never making it to the log-in screen. Hoping it wouldn't be my most expensive part of the build, I tried shifting out every component along the way. Narrowed it down to a fubar GPU.

During my troubleshooting, I fiddled with some BIOS settings, though I only knew what about 80% of it were. Didn't touch the things I wasn't immediately sure of and didn't overclock nothing. ...

/THE FIRST (small) ISSUE/

… During some settings, my board (which I don't currently remember the model of - A Gigabyte of some sort) completely stopped recognizing my TV. I don't have a secondary monitor to test with. This was both the onboard graphics and the discreet GPU, that the computer wouldn't recognize.
I bought a new motherboard (ASUS H81M-P Plus - Quite low-end, I know, but I'd give it a try), went down to the store to get a 1070 to give that a try. Everything went smooth.
I was going to return the 1070 as I found a killer deal on a XFX 580 Black Ed, and took that for a spin. Whenever I installed the 580 (the motherboard is supported, I checked), it resulted in a completely black screen.

/THE SECOND (REAL) ISSUE/

As both the GPU and mobo was new, I decided to get the to the BIOS and see if anything was wrong. The first thing that made my eyes moist, was that the BIOS for whatever reason had limited my RAM to 1333MHz (why?!), so I used a toggle to set it to it's proper speed. This has nothing to do with OC though. Still not touching that stuff.
The rest was allowing virtualization and what not. Simple, harmless seemfull stuff.
Saving the settings… NO LONGER IS EITHER HDMI PORT ON BOARD, NOR GPU RECOGNIZED.

/RESETTING THE CMOS/

So I went to reset the CMOS to see if it would do anything, hoping the motherboard wasn't gone like the other one, using the following procedure:

- Touch the radiator (The one that heats my appartment) to ground myself for a brief moment.
- Put my left hand on the chassis and let it rest during the entire operation
- With my right hand, turn off the PSU at the I/O switch.
- Hold the powerbutton for 5 seconds
- Pull out the cable to the PSU
- Hold the powerbutton for 5 seconds
- Pull out GPU
- Pull out RAM
- Pull out cell battery
- Short the two CLRCT pins with a screwdriver, afterwards a torx tool, to make sure
- Lift left hand
- Wait 5-10 minutes
- Touch Radiator
- Put left hand on chassis
- Plug cell battery carefully, firmly in
- Plug RAM in
- Plug GPU in
- Plug power cable to the PSU in
- Set the I/O switch to "I"
- Lift left hand
- Press the powerbutton
- Mash the delete button

TL;DR /RESULT/

[strike]Nor[/strike] Neither the GPU nor onboard graphics are recognized, even after the extensive CMOS reset.

If you guys have any idea, i'd appreciate it very much.
Sorry for the making the post this long, but I need more than a "Try restarting the PC".

Lutfij

Titan
With everything said and done, were you on the latest BIOS update? I'm curious to know what the make and model of your PSU is. Better yet, list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Seeing how you've changed hardware, we'll also need to know what parts were changed from the moment the issue occurred.

Dec 6, 2018

As obvious as it might be to make sure of, I actually didn't update the BIOS before adjusting it. I'm afraid I can't tell what version I was running. All other updates has been run through regular Windows updates.

To give you the specs, I'll try to remember, and then I'll update as I get home.

CPU: Intel i7 4700k
Motherboard: ASUS H81M-P Plus - NEW ITEM
Ram: Kingston HyperX 16GB (2 sticks of a 32GB kit)
SSD/HDD: Samsung something SSD, WD something HDD
GPU: XFX RX 580 Black Edition - NEW ITEM
PSU: Corsair CX750
Chassis: Fractal Design R4
OS: Windows 10 Pro - Reinstalled after significant hardware change (Motherboard)

Any item on this list that hasn't been labeled "NEW ITEM" is from the original build. The new items were bought and returned respectively, as neither of them solved my issue with the old 780Ti GPU.

Thanks for the quick response.

EDIT: To make myself clear - The new GPU and mobo is still installed and not returned, but any other new item i.e. CPU, PSU, RAM, a third mobo, SSD has been returned.

Dec 6, 2018
So I went home and looked at the computer again. I thought "lets try the unplug All" theory again, booting it u with only 1 RAM stick and the 840 EVO SSD. I now see "ASUS" and like a savage, I press the del key. To no avail.

Up comes American Megatrends and tells me "Chassis intrude! Please check your system
Fatal error... System halted."

I went to the chassis, made sure nothing was touching the chassis intruding connector, but saw nothing touch whatsoever.

I went to the motherboard manual saying this:
"By default, the pin labeled “Chassis Signal” and “Ground” are shorted with a jumper
cap. Remove the jumper caps only when you intend to use the chassis intrusion
detection feature."

This is not the case for this mobo though, as there has never been a jumper on it.