No HDMI in PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot

isotopes

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
The card works in in the PCIE_X8_2 slot but not the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot top one closest to the CPU. All other output ports work on card using the top slot but not the HDMI output. I game and I'd like to possibly upgrade later and go SLI or else I wouldn't mind as is. I have searched in various forums for a couple weeks and tried those possible solutions. This is my first build and before I RMA, I'd like some possible troubleshooting advice. I've already updated bios, disabled on board graphics, disabled fast boot, checked for bent pins on mobo under CPU. Chose preferred startup as peg, looked to see if there were contradicting settings that wouldn't allow the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot slot to be active. Tried card on other systems, card reads on other systems. Not able to try other cards on this system, although card was replaced already just to be sure. Did some math and PSU checks out. GPU fans spin on startup while on the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot. Used different HDMI cables, checked for port damage on card. components are properly assembled, plugged in correctly...etc. looked for damage in PCIE slots, none observed. Updated drivers, reinstalled drivers. Tried two different monitors but gave up on that when I noticed that the GPU is not even found in bios at all when in the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot, which I find odd since the the other output ports work. Removed drive bays while building rig to ensure GPU would fit with selected case. Faulty motherboard or am I possibly missing something?

Specs : https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qqfncc

- Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
-MSI - GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Video Card

isotopes

Prominent
Nov 14, 2017
Yeah that's what I was suspecting. I received an RMA with them. When I tried to do troubleshooting over the phone with a rep, he was telling me that only Asus graphic cards are compatible Asus motherboards. TBH I don't believe he knew what he was talking about.

- "leaving this thread opened and unsolved in the meantime until I for sure know the mobo is to blame"

He definitely didn't know what he was talking about. Who does Asus have working in technical support, high school dropouts.