No HDMI Option in "playback devices"

Postosis

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
I have seen many people with this same issue, and it has been claimed to be solved several times. However I cannot seem to get any of the solutions to work. So here is my situation.

I have a fresh copy of windows 8 installed. All of my drivers are fully updated and installed correctly. When I open the playback devices to turn on HDMI audio there is absolutely no option to do so. I have enabled "show hidden devices" and nothing new shows up. The only option for sound I have is s/pdif. I have tried installing other drivers and changing things around but to no avail. When I open the nvidia control panel it shows my audio device as my television. so I know it recognizes that its capable of such an action. however windows doesnt seem to agree.

for reference here are my machine specs
intel quad core 1.2ghz
4gb ddr3 ram
nvidia geforce gts 250 video card.

even my father with 35 years of high level computer experience has no clue why it wont show up. everything I can change has told it to use hdmi audio except the windows playback devices page.

I have looked through the device manager as well and there are no indications that anything is not functioning correctly.

anyone have any other suggestions?

Postosis

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015

if it is just a missing connector from the motherboard to the video card, wouldn"t it still display the hdmi option just not have any sound?

UPDATE
ok looked inside the pc. the side of the video card has only 1 pair of pins on the side says "spdif in1 spdif in2" no wire from the video card to the motherboard. trying to get around to the back to see if there is an audio input jack on the back. if so maybe i can use a jumper wire to go from the sound card to the video card externally

Another UPDATE

just got done pulling the entire pc apart and cleaning about 3 dogs worth of dust out of it..... didnt know it was so bad lol. but I cannot locate a jumper wire for what i need. it has to go from 3 pin on motherboard side to 2 pin on video card side.
video card issue aside i plugged into the on board speaker out and no luck. no sound comes out. it shows some sound in the volume bar but nothing over speakers. :??:

Dumbass of the day.... While trying to reboot after updating on board sound drivers I clicked "update and restart" to my surprise I have 165 updates. Been 20 minutes and its on 3.....

Postosis

Reputable
Aug 24, 2015
ok new update. pretty sure that the missing s/pdif cable is the issue with no sound from hdmi. however my tv always tells me "this is a dvi connection. please use hdmi 1 and audio" well i tried this. but after a few hours of research and windows updates almost bricking my pc i find that if the hdmi cable is broadcasting sound (even blank sound information) it disables the audio port. I have attempted to disable this feature through my tv but there is no option to switch from auto sound mode. I have tried disabling the hdmi audio output directly through the nvidia software but this does not work. it says no audio output but still sends the audio signal.

i found all of this out by accident when my pc almost crashed from windows updates i had to plug in my vga cable to a dvi connector on the video card and the sound started working.....i tried to swap to vga and it said out of range. so i switched my resolution down to 1024 x768 and i could swap to the straight vga cable. (which looks like garbage on my monitor) but no sound again. (because my tv requires a dvi input to use the extra audio port)