[SOLVED] No HDMI output signal on mobo or GPU after rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
My gigabyte mobo failed so I upgraded to a Z97-A. The system will not produce an input signal for the monitor from my GTX 1060 or the HDMI on the mobo, ONLY the VGA works. I confirmed the monitor is fine as a result and everything boots up fine but it could still be something software related.

Perhaps Win10 didn't remove and update the mobo drivers properly during the change? I did not reinstall the OS but everything worked fine on DVI at another location and it also worked for 2 days on HDMI from the GPU before this happened. I'm working on getting another gpu to test but I don't believe it's that because the hdmi on the mobo doesn't work either. Also, VGA won't work at all if the GPU is installed.

The final clues I have is that I did have to reinstall the nvidia drivers when connecting to HDMI monitor for the first time but 2 days before this happened.

Upon finally getting it working again on VGA, running Driver Booster produced these odd drivers that needed to be updated. See pics:

a76a0588fbb33d97330925e56339be39.png

4ad7805e642da930700b7aac8c3b6bb6.png

The bios was from 2014 but updating it only made the computer snappier but did not resolve the issue..

Solution
From manual it says

Graphics Configuration
This item allows you to select a primary display from CPU and PCIe graphical devices.
Primary Display [Auto]
This item allows you to select the primary display from CPU and PCIe devices.
Configuration options: [Auto] [CPU Graphics] [PCIE] [PCI]

Default should be auto so it should auto detect presence of a graphics card in which case will disable CPU graphics. PCIe is the graphics card.

There isn't any setting to tell the motherboard to only display from vga only. That is a motherboard fault if it is.

But because your graphics card also doesn't show a display using hdmi leads me to think it's the monitor is still on vga input only. What confuses me with this suspicion is you've said you tested it so im...

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Strange. Not using signal converters like hdmi to vga?

Can you list all system specs and monitor.

Can you boot to bios with vga? Drivers aren't required during bios / post so you should get a display during this time regardless so need to work out why.

With the graphics card out, can you boot to bios with hdmi then?

When a gpu is detected motherboards usually disable igpu but not sure if vga is also disabled along with the other motherboard digital outputs.

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
No converters at all.

HP w2207h Monitor
16GB Corsair Vengeance
I7-4790k
Evga 850 G3
Win 10 Enterprise x64

Good point about drivers I forgot that.

PC will only boot on VGA and only with GPU out.

Where would these outputs be disabled?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
From manual it says

Graphics Configuration
This item allows you to select a primary display from CPU and PCIe graphical devices.
Primary Display [Auto]
This item allows you to select the primary display from CPU and PCIe devices.
Configuration options: [Auto] [CPU Graphics] [PCIE] [PCI]

Default should be auto so it should auto detect presence of a graphics card in which case will disable CPU graphics. PCIe is the graphics card.

There isn't any setting to tell the motherboard to only display from vga only. That is a motherboard fault if it is.

But because your graphics card also doesn't show a display using hdmi leads me to think it's the monitor is still on vga input only. What confuses me with this suspicion is you've said you tested it so im not sure what other reason could there be so i'll just check to be sure just in case the monitor defaults to vga if both cables are connected. Your monitor has a button to toggle input modes.

Icon looks like two right arrows. Page 30 of manual here http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00834092

Solution

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I didn't know my monitor had that but trying it while both HDMI and VGA is plugged in and to mobo with no GPU installed and still it said no signal and reverted back to VGA (while PC running) plus I confirmed it's not the monitor already by using a laptop and it switched right away.

This makes me think it's definitely the mobo not my GPU which looks immaculate but I want to rule out all software issues. Let me know if you think of anything else otherwise I'll need to swap the mobo..

The White Knight

Honorable
Oct 20, 2013
I tried it but no dice plus the monitor won't let me see the menu unless it has a signal which is lame but it has to be defective it's just odd I can't find anyone else with this issue with the board. There are a lot of complaints but none pertaining to this.

I'll reportback after I RMA mobo for repair.

Status
Not open for further replies.