No HDMI signal from PCI card with Integrated Graphics

majonsey

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Hey guys, I came here awhile back for advice on a new HTPC build. My specs from that build are here: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/299779-31-htpc-computer-build#5169817

This system has been great, but I just had a "USB overcurrent detected" issue that forced me to get a new MOBO. I decided to go with the same model (ASUS M4A88T-M), because I could find one pretty cheap. This board has integrated graphics, and I also have a PCI card (Raedon 6570 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121441R). This card worked great on the old board, but after replacing the board I get no HDMI signal on every cable / tv combo I can try. DVI and VGA connections work fine. Additionally, when the card is installed on the board, the HDMI from the integrated GPU doesn't work either. When the PCI card is removed, I get a video signal from the integrated HDMI, but no audio.

I've flashed my bios, played around with the primary graphics settings (also in BIOS) and read just about every thread I could find that remotely matched my searches.

Any Ideas?

Solution
It does sound like the card is defective. You could still use the card via DVI using the HDMI adapter - as long is there are no negative impacts (BSOD, reduced speed, etc)....

majonsey

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

So a couple of clarifications:
1. I've uninstalled all AMD drivers (using the steps on their site), and uninstalled the driver for onboard GPU via device manager (windows of course updates immediately via plug and play).
2. My desired config is to bypass the onboard graphics completely.
3. Via Bios, I've configured the PCI card to take priority.

Based on this, I'm not sure what steps to take...e.g. when to install divers, when to physically insert the card, what the BIOS should be etc. I don't have any reason to believe that just the HDMI port of the GPU card is faulty...but I find it strange that DVI will work fine..

Thanks for the reply!

Once you have configured the BIOS to have the PCI card take priority, you need to install the new drivers. (If the card isn't installed - make sure to power down, install it and verify in BIOS that is has priority). It is strange that only the HDMI port is flaking.....

majonsey

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

I'll install the card, and use DVI out to install the new drivers. Is there anything else I can do to verify the HDMI port is working? Is there software or diagnostics that I can run to verify? I'm not opposed to getting a new card, but i want to be sure I need one first.

majonsey

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010

You bet. Different cables and different display devices. DVI to HDMI even works from the DVI output.

I'll give things another go tonight and see where I end up.

majonsey

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2010
Here's the most recent steps I took...still no luck.

1. I removed all drivers with the dedicated GPU removed. (Onboard HDMI and DVI working fine)
2. Set the PCI Express to the default card in the BIOS
3. Powered down, inserted card, powered up (DVI on dedicated works great, no HDMI)
4. Installed latest drives from AMD for the dedicated card, rebooted...still no HDMI.
5. Tried DVI to HDMI via connector, and got a signal...which confirms the cable is good. Tried HDMI out again with same cable...no signal.

I plan to test my card on a different MOBO to try to rule out any issues with the card, though that's what I'm assuming the issue is at this point...