No Health Risks From Cell Phones... But Still Be Cautious

Status
Not open for further replies.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
**PHEW** Okay, so basically there are no health risks to cell phone usage until there are again. Awesome. If anyone needs me, I'll be enjoying my daily glass of wine that may or may not kill me / give me +2 cancer resistance.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
WHen I have my cell phone in my pocket, sometimes I can fell it, and when riding or walking I have to turn wifi off, gps off, or even the cell phone off (switch to air plane mode) when the cell phone is in edge mode or weak signal. THis is with my iPhone 3g.

Also my friend that has 5 cell phones surrounding his head everyday (on his desk) found out he has a brain tumor 3 months ago.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]shqtth[/nom]WHen I have my cell phone in my pocket, sometimes I can fell it, and when riding or walking I have to turn wifi off, gps off, or even the cell phone off (switch to air plane mode) when the cell phone is in edge mode or weak signal. THis is with my iPhone 3g. Also my friend that has 5 cell phones surrounding his head everyday (on his desk) found out he has a brain tumor 3 months ago.[/citation]
Personally I hope you can feel your phone when it's in your pocket since if you can't that means you lost it. As for your friend well correlation does not imply causation, meaning that just cause he uses cell phones and has a tumor does not mean the phones caused it. There could be many reasons for a tumor and the phones being there might just be a coincidence.

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Been using cell phones for 13 years now... no cancer yet If you think about it, it is just radio... and how long have we had radio waves throughout the general public?[/citation]

True it's just a radio, but, it's one that operates in microwave frequency range (which the general public *wasn't* exposed to on a regular basis before the cell phone. Having said that, your average microwave oven puts out about 1000 watts of power compared to the few hundred milliwatts up to a full watt of a cell phone. The amount of heating caused by that small amount of transmit power is and order of magnitude less than sunshine on your skin. I'll bet the battery puts out more heat than the amount of heat caused by the transmitter.

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
[citation][nom]eternalkp[/nom]Don't you just love these "studies" or "research"They always change their hypothesis every other month[/citation]

I have yet to hear of someone who got sick from using a cell phone

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Six months from now:

This just in, cell phones linked to brain tumors (again).

Waiting for the global warming flip to indicate the ice age (again). My how research does like to flip-flop for headline grabbing.

DRosencraft

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2011
The problem is, every time someone says there isn't a link between cell phones and cancer, people who know nothing of science shout that it's a lie, that there has to be a link, and go find some scientist somewhere who uses shoddy research tactics to suggest that there may be a link just because there has been an increase in brain and other cancers during the time there have been increased cell phone use. Except as legitimate studies have stated, there are so many other things that people have started doing since then that could also have increased cancer rates, since no one knows all the causes of cancer. There is so much stuff we do, we eat, we breathe, even if you live the healthiest life possible, that it is almost laughable to think you can latch on to a single thing and blame something as complex as cancer on it.

nonoitall

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006

And it's important to note that microwaves, while damaging in high doses (just like any heat source), are still not the same type of radiation that causes sunburns or skin cancer.

People hear the word "radiation" and think Chernobyl and nuclear fallout. What many don't realize is that radiation is just another word for light. Nothing would work without radiation. Only high-frequency radiation (ultraviolet, x-ray, gamma ray) has displayed sufficient energy concentration to mutate DNA and cause cancer, and visible light is actually closer to those frequencies than radio waves and microwaves. (So if you're afraid of cell phone radiation giving you cancer, you may as well be afraid of anything that you can see as well -- since you can see it, it's obviously either dishing out radiation or bouncing it back at you from another source.)

It strikes me that two things in particular were happening in the mid to late 80's: Cell phones were first coming out, and MRIs were becoming widely available. So all of the sudden we've got tons of new brain cancer diagnoses. They had probably been going on for centuries, but up until then most had gone undiagnosed. But still, people need to blame something for all these new brain cancer cases. I know! How about those new radiation machines that people stick up to their heads! They just came out this week, and we just discovered these cancer cases this week, so those have got to be the cause! Right? ;)

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
now the only thing that's dangerous is people not paying attention at what they are doing....people need to put technology away from time to time

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]You're more likely to die from texting while walking/biking/driving...[/citation]
There has been deaths in Australia (i guess other places) from people listening to their MP3 player / phone and didnt hear the train. Or distracted by using their phone. Not to mention car accidents.

G

This is just the beginning...wireless technology kills humans...time will tell.

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
[citation][nom]Get Ready For The Truth About Cell[/nom]This is just the beginning...wireless technology kills humans...time will tell.[/citation]

... you're wearing a tin foil hat right now, aren't you?

chewy1963

Honorable
May 9, 2012
[citation][nom]jazz84[/nom]... you're wearing a tin foil hat right now, aren't you?[/citation]

This just in..... Tin Foil Hats Cause Cancer! Details at 11!

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]You're more likely to die from texting while walking/biking/driving...[/citation]
so you're saying that cellphones DO cause infertility?

DSpider

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2009
I stopped reading at "There was no information on how the study was conducted...".

Wut?

Then why the f*** were you paid for? Speaking of paying off, big companies like Motorola, Nokia, Samsung, etc have sponsored these studies, leaning the result in whichever way as to not affect sales.

Remember, smoking was considered good for your health at one point, and even doctors prescribed it.

nocteratus

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2007
If we start to listen to everything...

Every magnetic field might be harmful to humans like electrical wires, any radio frequency, etc...

We would live in medieval time.

Every time there's a new technology there's always someone to say it's harmful.

People never apply common sense to these things. If the puny signal being put out by cell phones could harm you. Then technicians that work full time on very powerful cell phone towers would be dropping like flies. Same with anyone working in a radio station or military personnel that use military grade radio equipment which operates all over the spectrum.

Status
Not open for further replies.