Ralph

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
183
0
18,680
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Sometimes when I try to hibernate my new Toshiba P35 laptop I get the
following error message:

"Windows System Error - Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the
API"

I recently installed a 1 gig ram chip into it, so it now has 1.5 gig but I
dont see how that should affect hibernation...

Any ideas whats wrong here?

Thanks!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Did you install the correct spec DDR PC2700 RAM module?

Your Hibernation folder may need to be emptied and refreshed.

Open your Control Panel and select Power Options >
Hibernate and uncheck the box next to "Enable Hibernation"
and click "apply".

Next, perform a Disk Cleanup:
Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > Disk Cleanup

Afterward, reboot your computer. Go back and enable Hibernation
and reboot once again and you'll have a new Hibernation File.

Troubleshooting Standby & Hibernate Issues in Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_standby.htm

(Courtesy of Kelly Theriot, MS-MVP)

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User
Microsoft Newsgroups

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ralph" wrote:

| Sometimes when I try to hibernate my new Toshiba P35 laptop I get the
| following error message:
|
| "Windows System Error - Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the
| API"
|
| I recently installed a 1 gig ram chip into it, so it now has 1.5 gig but I
| dont see how that should affect hibernation...
|
| Any ideas whats wrong here?
|
| Thanks!
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

It's a bug
Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909

Ralph wrote:

> Sometimes when I try to hibernate my new Toshiba P35 laptop I get the
> following error message:
>
> "Windows System Error - Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the
> API"
>
> I recently installed a 1 gig ram chip into it, so it now has 1.5 gig but I
> dont see how that should affect hibernation...
>
> Any ideas whats wrong here?
>
> Thanks!
>
 

Ralph

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2004
183
0
18,680
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Bob, thanks, I went to that url and downloaded the link labeled "Download the
330909 package now." and went to run the update and got the following error
message:

"Q330909 Setup Error – Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of
the system installed is newer than the update you are applying to it. You
can only install this update on a computer with no Service Packs installed."

Any ideas on how to work around this?

Thanks!
Ralph

"Bob I" wrote:

> It's a bug
> Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909
>
> Ralph wrote:
>
> > Sometimes when I try to hibernate my new Toshiba P35 laptop I get the
> > following error message:
> >
> > "Windows System Error - Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the
> > API"
> >
> > I recently installed a 1 gig ram chip into it, so it now has 1.5 gig but I
> > dont see how that should affect hibernation...
> >
> > Any ideas whats wrong here?
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
>
>
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Yup, there is no fix for this. I have spent time with Microsoft on it
and they don't have a fix. There are a few good suggestions here
(http://www.ntwizards.net/2004/10/13/hibernate) that supposedly help a
little, although I haven't tried it myself. This is a VERY annoying
problem and I'm extremely disappointed that Microsoft hasn't addressed
this issue head-on. Then again, it's not surprising...
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.general (More info?)

Apparently you have already installed it via the Service Pack2 or the
Update for Service Pack 1

If you are still experiencing problems then it boils down to this
explanation:

"Note It is still possible to experience a hibernation problem after you
install this fix if the memory becomes highly fragmented. The speed at
which this problem manifests is dependent on the software that you run
and your particular usage model."

Sorry

Ralph wrote:

> Bob, thanks, I went to that url and downloaded the link labeled "Download the
> 330909 package now." and went to run the update and got the following error
> message:
>
> "Q330909 Setup Error – Setup has detected that the Service Pack version of
> the system installed is newer than the update you are applying to it. You
> can only install this update on a computer with no Service Packs installed."
>
> Any ideas on how to work around this?
>
> Thanks!
> Ralph
>
> "Bob I" wrote:
>
>
>>It's a bug
>>Hibernation problem on computers with 1 GB of RAM
>>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330909
>>
>>Ralph wrote:
>>
>>
>>>Sometimes when I try to hibernate my new Toshiba P35 laptop I get the
>>>following error message:
>>>
>>>"Windows System Error - Insufficient System Resources exist to complete the
>>>API"
>>>
>>>I recently installed a 1 gig ram chip into it, so it now has 1.5 gig but I
>>>dont see how that should affect hibernation...
>>>
>>>Any ideas whats wrong here?
>>>
>>>Thanks!
>>>
>>
>>