No High Speed Internet Plans in my Area

Apr 1, 2018
So I just moved to a new home not so far from my old home. I went on my phone to search for high speed internet in my area and the fastest I could find was 12mbps download speed. As the only plan in my area basically, I got it and regret it. This internet can't even handle 720p video streaming and I get around a 700ms ping. In my old house we got speeds up to 100mbps and a ping of around 30ms and that house is only 10 miles away. Is 10 miles really that much of a difference when it comes to wifi? I feel like I should still be able to get that same plan but when I went onto the Xfinity website and put in my address I got literally nothing. Should I call my local Xfinity store myself and ask them about plans where I live or will I get the same result. Are internet providers really that serious when it comes to where you live or will they be a little bit lenient?

Solution
When I used to live in my house in the country there was absolutely no internet at all. No dsl, cable nothing. Eventually a WISP provider started to provide services and now there is some mobile broadband. It is only 4 miles to be inside the city limits and they have gigabit service from the cable company.

It is all about money if me and my neighbors all had 25 houses each on the same land we have 1 house on we likely could negotiate with the cable company to extend the cable line to the development with only 10 or so houses spread out over a large area they will never make their money back.

USAFRet

Titan

A lot depends on actual wiring.
In my area, Verizon FiOS can be literally one side of the street and not the other.
One subdivision and not the next one over.

You can call and talk to a human. But if it isn't available at your specific residence...it isn't.

When I used to live in my house in the country there was absolutely no internet at all. No dsl, cable nothing. Eventually a WISP provider started to provide services and now there is some mobile broadband. It is only 4 miles to be inside the city limits and they have gigabit service from the cable company.

It is all about money if me and my neighbors all had 25 houses each on the same land we have 1 house on we likely could negotiate with the cable company to extend the cable line to the development with only 10 or so houses spread out over a large area they will never make their money back.

Solution