[SOLVED] No-Holds-Barred Gaming / Workstation Build Appraisal

Roundbaby

Reputable
Sep 4, 2020
I've been working for a tech company for 18 months, and have been scrimping and saving. Now that I am transferring to a new university, I want to splurge and make a top-of-the-line gaming and workstation PC for my apartment! For the most part I want to spare no expense and want the full system to last me at least 7 years, with parts that are future-proof. All that needs building is the tower itself, I have solid peripherals. I visit family often, so I am dabbling with finding ways to stream my desktop remotely to my slightly older but still decent PCs at home (1080 & 4th gen i7). I have a parts-list already made, but I am a novice when it comes to motherboard and CPU choice. I came to this forum for advice on the parts I've chosen. I want all of the parts to be compatible and work without bottlenecking each other too much. All help is greatly appreciated.
Budget: <$5000.00 USD
Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Triple A Titles at full graphics, rarely video editing, low level circuit simulations, possibly remote game streaming
Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): It should be noted that already have desktop peripherals (Razer Deathadder and Blackwidow Chroma) as well as 2 144Hz 2560x1440 monitors with Freesync.
P.S. If possible, I want to make this a RGB-less build! The less lights in the case, the better!
Current Parts-list:
: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Roundbaby/saved/y4rcbv

Last edited:
Solution
I've been working for a tech company for 18 months, and have been scrimping and saving. Now that I am transferring to a new university, I want to splurge and make a top-of-the-line gaming and workstation PC for my apartment! For the most part I want to spare no expense and want the full system to last me at least 7 years, with parts that are future-proof. All that needs building is the tower itself, I have solid peripherals. I visit family often, so I am dabbling with finding ways to stream my desktop remotely to my slightly older but still decent PCs at home (1080 & 4th gen i7). I have a parts-list already made, but I am a novice when it comes to motherboard and CPU choice. I came to this forum for advice on the parts I've chosen...
I've been working for a tech company for 18 months, and have been scrimping and saving. Now that I am transferring to a new university, I want to splurge and make a top-of-the-line gaming and workstation PC for my apartment! For the most part I want to spare no expense and want the full system to last me at least 7 years, with parts that are future-proof. All that needs building is the tower itself, I have solid peripherals. I visit family often, so I am dabbling with finding ways to stream my desktop remotely to my slightly older but still decent PCs at home (1080 & 4th gen i7). I have a parts-list already made, but I am a novice when it comes to motherboard and CPU choice. I came to this forum for advice on the parts I've chosen. I want all of the parts to be compatible and work without bottlenecking each other too much. All help is greatly appreciated.
Budget: <$5000.00 USD
Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Triple A Titles at full graphics, rarely video editing, low level circuit simulations, possibly remote game streaming
Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): It should be noted that already have desktop peripherals (Razer Deathadder and Blackwidow Chroma) as well as 2 144Hz 2560x1440 monitors with Freesync.
P.S. If possible, I want to make this a RGB-less build! The less lights in the case, the better!
Current Parts-list:
: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Roundbaby/saved/y4rcbv
Ok, I have a few things for you to consider.
  • Future proof is a myth. You get the best you can with what's available at the moment and it lasts as long as it lasts.
  • 7 years? I suppose it's possible but undoubtedly you'll be tempted by new tech long before that.
  • Ryzen benefits from fast memory. Try 3200 CL14 or 3600 CL16. Corsair Vengeance LPX won't interfere with the Noctua cooler. 2 X 32GB, if it's available, puts less stress on memory controller. Not positive that's an issue anymore but used to be.
  • PCIe Gen 4 NVME drives are nice, but not cost to performance effective. When prices come down on these things they'll become more viable options. Your call.
  • 8TB drive would be a massive letdown if it fails. Personally I'd use a 2TB 2.5" SSD for bulk storage and add another drive as the need arises. It doesn't need to be a high end, expensive model, just something decent. I don't see the need for clunker drives anymore that have moving parts to fail, especially since longevity is a concern for you.
  • Super Flower Leadex Platinum SE 1000W PSU. Much better than the G1+ you listed and same price right now at Newegg. There are other good options but stock is depleted right now on many. The power supply is the number 1 consideration for any computer build since everything depends on it.
  • The Define 7 is a nice conservative case of good quality, but a mesh front case is going to have massively better airflow a gaming system can benefit from.
  • Hope this helps you! Cheers.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS