[SOLVED] No idea what to do next with new build

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I recently upgraded old pc...a i5-2500k/gtx 680 (built 8 years ago) to a new AMD Ryzen3600/Asrock B450 pro/GTX 1660S and its been a nightmare. I had no issues putting it together..worked without a hitch until I was playing a game,at first I thought it was just the game but all of a sudden in mid action it reboots, cpu was 60 for temperature, VC 63. It rebooted in a matter of second at which i tried the game again and this time it restarted on the menu for the game...cpu was 49/vc 51. Only thing I can think of that may or may not be coincidental is I set textures to ultra after about an hour+ of playing that first time. I had the same experience with another game as well ...again played for some time but not that long after putting it on ultra it restarted. I ran memtest, Heavens bench (on ultra with updated geforce drivers))for an hour, CPU-Z for an hour +...no issues at all. Seems to be a difference when actually playing a demanding game.
The only thing I can think of since it doesn't seem at all to be heat related is perhaps my psu, however this psu handled a way more demanding pc in terms of needed power. It's a 550 cooler master with the caveat that it too is probably around 11-12 years old now. If not for this I would love this pc..its running cool, quiet and so much faster than what I had. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Solution
11-12 years old PSU. There is a really good % of your issue being resolved by replacing your PSU with a good quality 550-650Watts PSU. PSU degrade over time and it's probably about to die for good. It's better you don't put your new stuff you just bought at risk.

What is your RAM?
11-12 years old PSU. There is a really good % of your issue being resolved by replacing your PSU with a good quality 550-650Watts PSU. PSU degrade over time and it's probably about to die for good. It's better you don't put your new stuff you just bought at risk.

What is your RAM?

Solution

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011

What is your RAM?
I have 2 8gb 3000mhz ddr4 sticks in slots A1 and B1. I just tested it out, loaded a game...it restarted within 5 seconds of entering game..pc wasnt even under load at all.

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
When looking at your board manual it recommend you put the 2 sticks of RAM in A2 and B2. At what speed is your RAM running right now?

Still. PSU. 11-12 years old.
Its shows as 3000mhz or 1497 (dual). I believe it did but I tried both slot combos with same results. I will get a new psu today although I was groggy when I posted due...I meant its 8 years old but as you said still probably a good idea though I don't think thats the current issue given the randomness...runs fine at times in a game under load for an hour plus then another time reboots after seconds in a game :(

kanewolf

Titan
I recently upgraded old pc...a i5-2500k/gtx 680 (built 8 years ago) to a new AMD Ryzen3600/Asrock B450 pro/GTX 1660S and its been a nightmare. I had no issues putting it together..worked without a hitch until I was playing a game,at first I thought it was just the game but all of a sudden in mid action it reboots, cpu was 60 for temperature, VC 63. It rebooted in a matter of second at which i tried the game again and this time it restarted on the menu for the game...cpu was 49/vc 51. Only thing I can think of that may or may not be coincidental is I set textures to ultra after about an hour+ of playing that first time. I had the same experience with another game as well ...again played for some time but not that long after putting it on ultra it restarted. I ran memtest, Heavens bench (on ultra with updated geforce drivers))for an hour, CPU-Z for an hour +...no issues at all. Seems to be a difference when actually playing a demanding game.
The only thing I can think of since it doesn't seem at all to be heat related is perhaps my psu, however this psu handled a way more demanding pc in terms of needed power. It's a 550 cooler master with the caveat that it too is probably around 11-12 years old now. If not for this I would love this pc..its running cool, quiet and so much faster than what I had. Any insight would be much appreciated!
If you didn't do a clean OS install, that would be my first recommendation. Get to a known software baseline with no junk left from your previous motherboard.

Reactions: Nemesia

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
If you didn't do a clean OS install, that would be my first recommendation. Get to a known software baseline with no junk left from your previous motherboard.
I can try a reinstall ..I also got a new boot drive in this build a 512 m.2 sata...fresh windows. The store I get my stuff at is not too far, I'm going to get a psu in a bit and for the hell of it swap memory. I got some Aegis something or other as they were out of of the ripjaws which are back in stock today. I tired a bios update and there is one although mine is a 3000 series ready board so probably not the issue. I downloaded it anyways yet the flash tool in the bios does not detect a file/

I can try a reinstall ..I also got a new boot drive in this build a 512 m.2 sata...fresh windows. The store I get my stuff at is not too far, I'm going to get a psu in a bit and for the hell of it swap memory. I got some Aegis something or other as they were out of of the ripjaws which are back in stock today. I tired a bios update and there is one although mine is a 3000 series ready board so probably not the issue. I downloaded it anyways yet the flash tool in the bios does not detect a file/

I would try the clean install of the OS first before you get a PSU. I'm tired and totally missed this. That would be my first recommendation to.

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
I would try the clean install of the OS first before you get a PSU. I'm tired and totally missed this. That would be my first recommendation to.
Sorry I am also extremely tired, quarantine has me WAY off. I meant to say that because I got a new boot ssd drive it is a brand new clean install of Win 10Pro. I just did the a bios flash..there was a newer version so I will test it but it the description doesn't seem to indicate any fixes related to my issue.

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Sorry I am also extremely tired, quarantine has me WAY off. I meant to say that because I got a new boot ssd drive it is a brand new clean install of Win 10Pro. I just did the a bios flash..there was a newer version so I will test it but it the description doesn't seem to indicate any fixes related to my issue.
All drivers are good, bios updated. Still randomly shuts off..not heat related...seems to be at a time (inconsistently too) when it kicks in to heavy use or randomly during heavy load. Too tired today but reserved my PSU for pickup tomorrow...

drf408

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2011
Replaced it just 20 minutes ago. Starting stress now. What is the easiest way to log my results...errors and heat blah blah Thanks!
Nevermind...at least I gave myself a refresher course in pc building, windows diagnostics and frustration. It was the PSU. Thank you for the replies!