Question No idea what's going on

Mar 18, 2019
I have this problem that just started yesterday where, while playing a game, my computer will suddenly decide to get really bad artifacting and then will either
  1. Close the game and force me to have to restart
  2. Crash entirely
I first thought it was drivers, so I updated them and it didn't help. Then I thought it was a heat problem, so then I set up an elaborate cooling system using an air conditioner and a fan to move cold air in and get the hot air out better. Didn't work, even though I saw improvements in the temperature inside my case.

Now I have no idea what to think. I'm hoping it doesn't mean the graphics card needs replaced because these things are hard enough to find in the first place, let alone the money I'd be out.

i9-7980xe
Gigabyte RTX 2080 Ti

I'm afraid you may need to seek warranty work on the card. There is a quality control problem with RTX cards right now. They have been glitching and dying for little or no reason. My advice is to contact Gigabyte and see what they say. Being a known issue with the 2080Ti they should replace it outright. The things haven't been out long enough to be past warranty, so at least there is that to not have to worry about.

Good luck!

Mar 18, 2019
I'm afraid you may need to seek warranty work on the card. There is a quality control problem with RTX cards right now. They have been glitching and dying for little or no reason. My advice is to contact Gigabyte and see what they say. Being a known issue with the 2080Ti they should replace it outright. The things haven't been out long enough to be past warranty, so at least there is that to not have to worry about.

Good luck!

I would just contact Gigabyte for a replacement if it was just normal signs of the card going out, but minor changes to the hardware (other than the graphics card) seem to make the problem come and go.

For instance, it crashes my computer every time...except for when the case is open. Getting a replacement is the easiest thing to do, but it might not necessarily be necessary.

Some part of me just hopes it can be fixed.

The artifacting only lasts a few seconds before everything returns to normal, but the computer becomes locked up or crashes shortly after most of the time.

Since posting this, I've been doing exactly what I was doing prior with no more incidents so far.

In that case, I wonder if it is power related.

What do you have for a power supply? Changing hardware changes the load on the PSU and you do have a pretty power hungry CPU coupled with a GPU that uses a bit of power itself. If it is a case of the power supply not being able to feed the beast then you could get momentary drops in output that could make the system unstable. Not sure why taking the side of the case off would be a thing though if it was a power supply issue or a graphics card one. Unless it is EMI or something... but I've never heard of electronic noise messing with a graphics card... is your audio through speakers or headphones noisy at all? That would be a good indicator, but this is a really edge case.

I'm still pretty convinced it is the graphics card, but checking other things never hurts.

Mar 18, 2019
In that case, I wonder if it is power related.

What do you have for a power supply? Changing hardware changes the load on the PSU and you do have a pretty power hungry CPU coupled with a GPU that uses a bit of power itself. If it is a case of the power supply not being able to feed the beast then you could get momentary drops in output that could make the system unstable. Not sure why taking the side of the case off would be a thing though if it was a power supply issue or a graphics card one. Unless it is EMI or something... but I've never heard of electronic noise messing with a graphics card... is your audio through speakers or headphones noisy at all? That would be a good indicator, but this is a really edge case.

I'm still pretty convinced it is the graphics card, but checking other things never hurts.

I have a Corsair AX1600i 1600w power supply and I've noticed no audio problems through headphones nor speakers in analog nor digital formats.

At this point I'm willing to send it back if it acts up again, but I'm still curious what would cause it to act so weirdly.

Well, that is WELL more than enough power and Corsair makes a good product... so I'm willing to rule that out. Little to no EMI is a good sign too. I think the having the side of the case off thing is coincidence.

Well, at this point we can try the drivers again, and if it keeps happening then it is likely a hardware issue. So, download a utility called Display Driver Uninstall or DDU. This will remove all traces of the video card's driver, then install the latest drivers and give it a try. This way we start with a clean driver install, just in case old files are causing issues somewhere.

As for why the hardware might be the problem, the RTX 2080Ti cards have been having various issues. Sometimes these issues manifest as glitches like you have, and other times they kill the card. I'm not up to date on the specifics, but it has been a bit of a blemish on the launch or an otherwise good product. If I had to guess it is because they practically rushed the cards out, when they really didn't have to. It seems like board partners, the companies that actually build the cards, didn't have enough time to properly test them and work out the kinks.

Mar 18, 2019
Well, that is WELL more than enough power and Corsair makes a good product... so I'm willing to rule that out. Little to no EMI is a good sign too. I think the having the side of the case off thing is coincidence.

Well, at this point we can try the drivers again, and if it keeps happening then it is likely a hardware issue. So, download a utility called Display Driver Uninstall or DDU. This will remove all traces of the video card's driver, then install the latest drivers and give it a try. This way we start with a clean driver install, just in case old files are causing issues somewhere.

As for why the hardware might be the problem, the RTX 2080Ti cards have been having various issues. Sometimes these issues manifest as glitches like you have, and other times they kill the card. I'm not up to date on the specifics, but it has been a bit of a blemish on the launch or an otherwise good product. If I had to guess it is because they practically rushed the cards out, when they really didn't have to. It seems like board partners, the companies that actually build the cards, didn't have enough time to properly test them and work out the kinks.

I have uninstalled all the old drivers and reinstalled only the newest drivers. Sorry it took so long, my download speed is not great.

I'll let you know once I know if the problem is fixed or not.

Mar 18, 2019

I have removed the card and put my old card in, which is some random 1080 Ti I got from an Alienware prebuilt.

If problem persists, I will be confused. If the problem is fixed, I know that the card is just done.

D

Deleted member 217926

It's probably the card. The RTX 2XXX series cards with Micron memory seem to have a high failure rate. My RTX 2070 has Micron memory. :(

Reactions: bernzkilot
I have removed the card and put my old card in, which is some random 1080 Ti I got from an Alienware prebuilt.

If problem persists, I will be confused. If the problem is fixed, I know that the card is just done.
I'll be shocked if the problem persists...

Is it bad that I laughed at the randomness of a random high end video card?

Did it do it again? And that is why you're swapping out cards?

Mar 18, 2019
I'll be shocked if the problem persists...

Is it bad that I laughed at the randomness of a random high end video card?

Did it do it again? And that is why you're swapping out cards?

It kept doing it, so I swapped cards and it hasn't happened with the 1080 Ti, but I have realized that I'm now very paranoid because of that old card.

I've contacted the place I bought it from to work towards getting a replacement. Thanks for helping me be 100% sure it decided to kamikaze itself.