Question No idea why Ryzen 5 3600 reaches those high temps in Horizon Zero Dawn...

Jun 17, 2020
Hello guys!

I have the following specs for my PC:
- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600;
- CPU's Cooler: Deepcool Gammax GT V2 RGB;
- MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO MAX;
- RAM Memory: 2x8 GB CL16 kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX running at 3200 Mhz;
- GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Dragon 8 GB;
- HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB;
- SSD: Kingston A400 480GB (this is the drive I'm running the operating system and games on);
- PSU: Riotoro Enigma G2, 80+ Gold, 650W;
- Case: AQIRYS Rigel ARGB (3 fans in the front, 1 fan in the back);
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home (2004 Version, the latest).

I am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and even after they had released some fix updates, the game is still not very well optimized.
I have the PC since only 2 months ago and I didn't have any problem with it, or with the cooling. I played the following games in the past: GreedFall, Tomb Raider (2013), Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.

The problem is that when I play Horizon Zero Dawn, my CPU reaches some high temperatures, like 88 degree celsius. I have to mention that in the past, while I was playing the games I've just listed, it didn't happen to me to have such high temps. It could be a problem with the game, because is not good optimized?
In the games I've just mentioned, my CPU's temperature was just fine, reaching only a maximum of 79-80 degree celsius.

Last edited:

Savikid

Prominent
Oct 29, 2020
Those are some pretty high temperatures, for all of them. I looked at a couple of benchmarks, and never saw the 3600 with stock cooler hit more than 72 degrees Celsius, and that's pretty in line with what I'd expect. I suppose they might not have PBO on and maybe you do, but I'd look at your fan curves, maybe they're set to favor quiet a little too much. I'd also want to know what your ambient temperatures are. I did look at your case a bit, and it seems that the provided fans/case design have very poor airflow, which might be causing your problems. If those other games are still getting the same temps, then it's definitely the game stressing your CPU more than usually, but your temps are just pretty high in general. 80C is pretty much what I expect under max load, not lighter load from those other games.

Hello guys!

I have the following specs for my PC:
- CPU: Ryzen 5 3600;
- CPU's Cooler: Deepcool Gammax GT V2 RGB;
- MOBO: MSI B450-A PRO MAX;
- RAM Memory: 2x8 GB CL16 kit of Corsair Vengeance LPX running at 3200 Mhz;
- GPU: PowerColor Radeon RX 5700 Red Dragon 8 GB;
- HDD: Western Digital Blue 1TB;
- SSD: Kingston A400 480GB (this is the drive I'm running the operating system and games on);
- PSU: Riotoro Enigma G2, 80+ Gold, 650W;
- Case: AQIRYS Rigel ARGB (3 fans in the front, 1 fan in the back);
- Operating System: Windows 10 Home (2004 Version, the latest).

I am currently playing Horizon Zero Dawn and even after they had released some fix updates, the game is still not very well optimized.
I have the PC since only 2 months ago and I didn't have any problem with it, or with the cooling. I played the following games in the past: GreedFall, Tomb Raider (2013), Rise Of The Tomb Raider and Shadow Of The Tomb Raider.

The problem is that when I play Horizon Zero Dawn, my CPU reaches some high temperatures, like 88 degree celsius. I have to mention that in the past, while I was playing the games I've just listed, it didn't happen to me to have such high temps. It could be a problem with the game, because is not good optimized?
In the games I've just mentioned, my CPU's temperature was just fine, reaching only a maximum of 79-80 degree celsius.

Hello, the Gammaxx GT V2 is pretty similar to the one I have and altought a basic budget cooler is pretty decent for the Ryzen 5 3600.

A few things you didn't mention:

1. What software are you using to monitor temps (right now the one I use and like the most if hwinfo 64, while during gameplay I use the last version of MSI afterburner with OSD) ? (Make sure you use only 1 monitoring software at the time to avoid conflicts in sensor reading)

2. Are you 100% the cooler is well mounted and plug into the right motherboard connector?

3. Have you tried to run the games with the side panel of the case off?, How do temps looks like while gaming this way?

4. Have you tried to play games with the front panel removed?, How do temps looks like while gaming this way?

5. What BIOS version do you have installed on your mobo?

6. Are you using the lastest chipset drivers from AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450)?

7. Do you have PBO disable in BIOs, and Ryzen Balanced Plan selected in Windows?

Jun 17, 2020
Those are some pretty high temperatures, for all of them. I looked at a couple of benchmarks, and never saw the 3600 with stock cooler hit more than 72 degrees Celsius, and that's pretty in line with what I'd expect. I suppose they might not have PBO on and maybe you do, but I'd look at your fan curves, maybe they're set to favor quiet a little too much. I'd also want to know what your ambient temperatures are. I did look at your case a bit, and it seems that the provided fans/case design have very poor airflow, which might be causing your problems. If those other games are still getting the same temps, then it's definitely the game stressing your CPU more than usually, but your temps are just pretty high in general. 80C is pretty much what I expect under max load, not lighter load from those other games.
It's fine now. Yesterday I updated my MOBO's chipsets and now temperatures are normal. Usually I have 72-72c while gaming and this is fine for me. In rest, the temperatures are fine in the whole system. Thank you for your help.

Jun 17, 2020
Hello, the Gammaxx GT V2 is pretty similar to the one I have and altought a basic budget cooler is pretty decent for the Ryzen 5 3600.

A few things you didn't mention:

1. What software are you using to monitor temps (right now the one I use and like the most if hwinfo 64, while during gameplay I use the last version of MSI afterburner with OSD) ? (Make sure you use only 1 monitoring software at the time to avoid conflicts in sensor reading)

2. Are you 100% the cooler is well mounted and plug into the right motherboard connector?

3. Have you tried to run the games with the side panel of the case off?, How do temps looks like while gaming this way?

4. Have you tried to play games with the front panel removed?, How do temps looks like while gaming this way?

5. What BIOS version do you have installed on your mobo?

6. Are you using the lastest chipset drivers from AMD website (https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b450)?

7. Do you have PBO disable in BIOs, and Ryzen Balanced Plan selected in Windows?
Everything is fine now. While gaming, my CPU's temperature is 72-73c. I've updated my MOBO's chipsets.

Reactions: kurdtnz and RodroX