No Image after booting

Bead_Lelly

Commendable
Jun 24, 2016
Just assembled a (mostly) new PC and I'm having an issue where once I power on I see the ASRock splash screen for a split second (I assume it should appear a bit longer than it does) and then nothing. The PC stays on with everything seemingly running fine - just no image.

I'm able to access the BIOS (or is it UEFI?) settings if I hit the proper key fast enough before the ASRock screen disappears.

Things I've tried:
  • Resetting BIOS (via jumper)
    Changing RAM slots / removing one RAM stick / trying new RAM
    Using a different graphics card
I also tried booting from the Software Installation disk that came with the motherboard; I get a "Nero Boot Loader" and a "Driver Disk Preparer" that asks if I want to "Generate Serial ATA Driver Diskette." I don't know what this means but it seems to have had no effect. I should note though that when booting this way the ASRock splash screen stayed up a few seconds longer.

I also tried booting from "UEFI: Built-in EFI Shell" and this screen comes up.

Concerns I have:
  • • Is there a compatibility issue I missed?
    • Could the PSU have gone bad? It is the oldest part in the build (along with the HDD). Could it be that the PSU's cord is bad?
    • Could the HDD have gone bad?
    • In the boot menu it says "AHCI P2" before my HDD name. What does this indicate?
    • On my graphics card there is a button labeled 'S' that I believe affects the BIOS/UEFI - pressing it has had no effect
    • The graphics card has two 8-pin sockets but my PSU only has a 6+2 and 6 pin connector. Is connecting a 6-pin to an 8-pin okay? I don't think this is the issue though because I was running this same setup with the same card and psu in my older PC with no problems.
I'm starting to think more and more that my PSU has gone bad. Does this sound right? Or could it be something else?

All parts are brand new save for the graphics card, power supply, and hard drive:
CPU: AMD FX-8350 Vishera 8-Core 4.0 GHz
MOBO: ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX
GFX: SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon R9 280X
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 1600
PSU: Thermaltake 850W
HDD: SAMSUNG Spinpoint HD103SJ 1TB
SSD: ADATA Premier SP550 120GB

TRENDING THREADS