[SOLVED] No image from gpu or mobo

Jun 8, 2020
Hello! I decided to wipe my computer fresh reformat of all my drives and reinstall my copy of win 10 pro. I have done this about once a year for the past several years to keep clutter down. After install I did a full install of all the up to date drivers and restarted the computer. On boot up I reliesd it was taking to long and had no display. Then I seen the vga light.

Specs: ryzen 7 3700x ,rog b450-f gaming, 32 gigs of vengeance ram, rog rtx 2080s gpu, 850 evga gold plus.

Things I have tried: restarted again unhooked everything but keyboard mouse and monitor, pulled out gpu and used hdmi to mobo. Reinstall gpu. And there is where I'm at. I made sure I let the drivers install before restart so it was a complete install. Any ideas would be helpful, thank you!

Solution
I would try a BIOS reset to see if something is not initializing correctly. I would also make sure you unplug the power from the wall and pull the BIOS battery out for 1 min so the system powers down completely during the BIOS reset. You'll have to option your boot drive again in the BIOS as well as your system memory.

You can't use the motherboard HDMI output with a Ryzen 3700x as it has no on-board graphics chip.

If you suspect your 2080 is having an issue you'll have to swap in another GPU to test it.
I would try a BIOS reset to see if something is not initializing correctly. I would also make sure you unplug the power from the wall and pull the BIOS battery out for 1 min so the system powers down completely during the BIOS reset. You'll have to option your boot drive again in the BIOS as well as your system memory.

You can't use the motherboard HDMI output with a Ryzen 3700x as it has no on-board graphics chip.

If you suspect your 2080 is having an issue you'll have to swap in another GPU to test it.

Reactions: Rwmjwbg
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
The 3700X does not offer onboard graphics, thus hooking to the motherboard with the CPU will net zero result. You will have to attempt to solve this with a GPU installed.

Even with it installed and if you unhook your storage, can you boot to BIOS even?

Jun 8, 2020
Slowing down isn't the reason as much as I just like a fresh os, just a preference thing. But yes I have tried 3 monitors and different display port cables and hdmi cables