No input signal upon restart

AgentCoop

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Hi, I just a built a new PC with i7-4790K, 8GB RAM, 2TB HDD/256 SSD and MSI GTX 970 4GB video card and I'm having the following issue.
The PC boots up perfectly and quick, but if I restart it, the monitor screen goes to "no input signal" for a good 20-30 seconds (as if it cannot detect HDMI signal) and then finally it recognizes it, PC boots up and everything is fine.
The PC is connected via HDMI to HP 23" Touchscreen monitor.

Could it be some power saving problem that makes the PC go to sleep for a brief time? Pressing keyboard/using mouse makes no difference and I tried connecting the monitor using DVI cable and same problem.

Thank you!

When you restart it in the problem description, is that an actual restart or sleep and wake from sleep cycle?

One thing to try is assign the PCIe device as the primary graphics adapter in the bios.

When the PC is in this 'sleep' state or the time during the 'no input signal', is it actually running / all fans, CPU fan, GPU fans all spinning?

AgentCoop

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Yes, it is the actual restart.
When the PC is "sleeping", all fans are running as normal....what I did notice though, is when it finally "finds" the signal, ASUS motherboard (Z976-A) starts going through its usual red LED check ups (you can see red LEDs light up around CPU, video card, etc) as if I just turned on the PC.

I will see if PCIe device assigning available in BIOS - thanks for that

AgentCoop

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Yes, I hooked up my old Samsung LCD monitor via DVI signal (it only has VGA and DVI) and same problem, so it's not the HDMI cable or the HP monitor....something to do with the video card or power saving feature of some sort. Maybe I should try re-installing video drivers. Flashing mobo bios to the latest update made no difference.

Does it take the same amount of time to shut down with the 970 removed, using the integrated graphics? It sounds more like something causing the PC to delay in the final shut-down phases after it's shut off the PCIe devices. A driver reinstall might help, do you remember if it was showing the same delay while you were installing windows through all the restarts required with motherboard drivers etc?

AgentCoop

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
It shuts down quick without any problems, this issue only shows up when you restart the PC after it's been running.
When I was installing Windows or running it with VGA drivers, it restarted quick as well, so this is probably the new Nvidia drivers causing it - will re-install those and see if it works. Thank you.

AgentCoop

Reputable
Jan 21, 2015
Update - re-installed Nvidia drivers and the problem is still there...I also assigned the graphics to PCIe in BIOS from "auto", but that didn't do anything.
970 card works fine though.

Dry Bones

Honorable
Nov 5, 2012

Did you end up finding out what the issue was? How did you fix it?
I'm just asking since I have a similar problem.