[SOLVED] No Internet Access on multiple machines when in some games. Instant access as soon as the game is closed

Oct 12, 2020
Hello,

My first post so bear with me.

I am having a very weird issue with my network and I cannot seem to work out what is going on. I am currently running 2 machines, personal gaming PC and a work laptop at the same time and both are experiencing the same issue at the same time.

When I am running certain games on the Gaming PC, notably Horizon Zero Dawn and Interplanetary Enhanced edition (though others do the same), the network on both the Gaming PC and the Work Laptop will go to 'No Internet Access' and I cannot load any webpages on the laptop. The instant that I Alt F4 the game the internet comes back.

Just on the gaming PC I have been talking on discord and open a game and the audio will stop both in and out as well until the game is closed.

Power settings for both devices are set to high power and the option for turning off power in the adapter settings has been turned off as well. Both are also running wirelessly.

I have a BT Home Hub 2 and I cannot see any event logs when the issue happens. Can't run ethernet to the Gaming PC due to distance currently.

Internet Provider BT at 910 mb/s

Gaming PC:
Ryzen 5 3600
Asus ROG Strix B450-E
Intel Wireless-AC 9260 WIFI card
ASUS RTX2060 Super
32GB Corsair 3200 MHz Memory

Work Laptop is a Dell Latitude 5590 with Intel AC 8265 Wireless

Any help/ideas would be great.

Solution
ipconfig /all is not a risk with respect to IP address info.

Those are private IP addresses used in hundreds of home and business networks.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/diffe...ch is used to communicate outside the network

At most the MAC's can be an issue but they can easily be masked out.

You do not want to reveal your public IP address which is what your ISP assigns to your router.

In any case, take a look at the above referenced links and search for other similar links as you deem necessary.

Post additional information...

Ralston18

Titan
Does the work laptop belong to you or to your employer?

If the latter then assistance with the laptop in order to play games is likely a violation of Forum rules.

Why are you unable to see the router's event logs? Perhaps the logs (if available) have not been enabled.

Make and model router? Who has full admin rights to the router?

On both computers run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Oct 12, 2020
Does the work laptop belong to you or to your employer?

If the latter then assistance with the laptop in order to play games is likely a violation of Forum rules.

Why are you unable to see the router's event logs? Perhaps the logs (if available) have not been enabled.

Make and model router? Who has full admin rights to the router?

On both computers run "ipconfig /all" via the Command Prompt and post the results.

Playing the games on my Gaming PC while also using the Work Laptop (2 separate machines).

I can see the router event logs however no events happen in the logs during the internet loss.

The Router is a BT Home Hub 2 as stated before. I have full admin rights to it. Checked all of the settings and nothing appears to make a difference.

Also not posting Ipconfig due to obvious reasons with IP address info.

Ralston18

Titan
ipconfig /all is not a risk with respect to IP address info.

Those are private IP addresses used in hundreds of home and business networks.

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-is-a-private-ip-address-2625970

https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/diffe...ch is used to communicate outside the network

At most the MAC's can be an issue but they can easily be masked out.

You do not want to reveal your public IP address which is what your ISP assigns to your router.

In any case, take a look at the above referenced links and search for other similar links as you deem necessary.

Post additional information as you fee comfortable doing so,

Overall, I suspect an IP address conflict or other network adapter misconfiguration.

All TBD.

Solution
Oct 12, 2020
Upon further testing, it appears that it is an issue due to my laptop being in close proximity to my PC tower. Not sure what is causing the interference as it is only when playing games so something to do with the GPU/PSU power? Moving the laptop 6 inches further away from the PC resolves the issue.
Possibly my previous issues with Discord were due to the WIFI antenna being in the same field.