[SOLVED] No Internet Access On Wi-Fi and Ethernet

Saltrenis

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
Hello,

I am currently unable to access the internet on both my Wi-Fi card and Ethernet. I am running Windows 10 and a desktop PC. I've tried disabling one or the other to no avail. I've uninstalled somewhat recent windows updates. I've tried resetting my network on my machine. I've tried resetting my router and modem. I am able to ping 127.0.0.1 and also can traceroute all the way out to Google's IP but if I use it's FQDN google.com it tells me it can't resole that. Any help would be appreciated. The laptop I'm on is connected to the same router on Wi-Fi without any issues.

Solution
Hello,

I am currently unable to access the internet on both my Wi-Fi card and Ethernet. I am running Windows 10 and a desktop PC. I've tried disabling one or the other to no avail. I've uninstalled somewhat recent windows updates. I've tried resetting my network on my machine. I've tried resetting my router and modem. I am able to ping 127.0.0.1 and also can traceroute all the way out to Google's IP but if I use it's FQDN google.com it tells me it can't resole that. Any help would be appreciated. The laptop I'm on is connected to the same router on Wi-Fi without any issues.
If you can ping out to 8.8.8.8 then you have internet connection. You have a DNS problem because you can't resolve www.google.com to an IP address...

kanewolf

Titan
Hello,

If you can ping out to 8.8.8.8 then you have internet connection. You have a DNS problem because you can't resolve www.google.com to an IP address.
You can manually set the DNS servers on your device to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If that works then you need to look at the router. It should be resolving and caching DNS.

Reactions: Saltrenis
Solution

Saltrenis

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
If you can ping out to 8.8.8.8 then you have internet connection. You have a DNS problem because you can't resolve www.google.com to an IP address.
You can manually set the DNS servers on your device to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4. If that works then you need to look at the router. It should be resolving and caching DNS.

I cannot ping 8.8.8.8 but my machine can dual boot and when I boot in to Linux my internet works just fine on it. I just turned off the automatic DNS and manually put in 8.8.8.8. This allows me to connect to the internet now but Windows still is saying I do not have internet access. Is there anywhere to resolve this as I imagine this will cause issues with software that checks that to see if it can reach out?

Saltrenis

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
After realizing it was purely a DNS issue I looked in to my ISP and it looks like it is having issues which is probably where this is coming from. I will report back when/if I find out for sure this was the issue.

kanewolf

Titan
After realizing it was purely a DNS issue I looked in to my ISP and it looks like it is having issues which is probably where this is coming from. I will report back when/if I find out for sure this was the issue.
You can update your router to not use the ISP DNS. Manually set 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 (Google DNS) as the DNS servers in your router. Then all DHCP clients will get them as DNS.