No internet after installing windows 7 on hp laptop

cursedwarlord420

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
I recently downgraded from windows 8 to windows 7 on my hp laptop and when the installation was all finished i couldn't access the internet at all not via lan or wifi its probably because of my drivers not being updated but i can't update them. there is no internet and only 1 port is working and even that port does not recognize my usb so no way of getting a driver installer in there.

Solution
Hmmmm.... I just did a re-set on a HP Laptop that came with Windows 7 Home Premium (not mine) and was running Windows 7 because it started getting the dreaded blue screens.

I restarted the laptop and pressed F11 during the restart and an HP recovery window opened up with several options, one of them being to restore the laptop to its original factory settings like it was when the laptop was first turned on.

I didn't need any discs either, there must have been a recovery partition on the hard drive.

I did this and the restore went rather smoothly. The only thing I needed, to connect to the internet, was the SSID number and the password that was created for the network when it was originally set up and turned on.

Surprisingly, it all...
I'd download all the drives on another system, make a dvd and use that to install everything. Seems to be your only option at this point. Are there Windows 7 drivers for that system? Also, why didn't you just upgrade to Windows 10 instead of going back to Windows 7?

cursedwarlord420

Prominent
Aug 20, 2017
how will i know which drives to install? i cant find the model id of the laptop would that be a problem or could i just use a software that could maybe detect every driver i need to install?

Hi

I would be surprised if there is not a label on the bottom of the laptop
If that label has been removed go into the bios or uefi and look for model

There are a number of programs which report motherboard make & model and details of graphics chipset , ethernet and wireless chipset etc

Piriform speccy is one which comes to mind

Usb 2 ports should work but usb 3.0 ports are likely to require device drivers

Regards
Mike Barnes

Hi

There is probably a recovery partition containing windows 8
Presuming you did not remove all partitions while installing win 7

Read the HP user guide to find out how to access this recovery partition
This probably means finding out what model HP laptop you have

Regards
Mike Barnes

you have a few options. you can use a program like 7lite to make new windows 7 iso and add newer drivers. if you did not format (wipe the hard drive on some laptops is a restore partion. in the bios or power up there should be a message what keys to hit to start it. if there none there the nfor a small fee call hp and have them send you a restore cd. last is seeing if windows 10 upgrade will work for you. from another pc make windows 10 usb iso. boot from the usb and use your windows 8 oem code if you have it. if windows upgrade still works you have a vailid key after it done installing.

Blackink

Distinguished
Hmmmm.... I just did a re-set on a HP Laptop that came with Windows 7 Home Premium (not mine) and was running Windows 7 because it started getting the dreaded blue screens.

I restarted the laptop and pressed F11 during the restart and an HP recovery window opened up with several options, one of them being to restore the laptop to its original factory settings like it was when the laptop was first turned on.

I didn't need any discs either, there must have been a recovery partition on the hard drive.

I did this and the restore went rather smoothly. The only thing I needed, to connect to the internet, was the SSID number and the password that was created for the network when it was originally set up and turned on.

Surprisingly, it all worked in the end.

Solution