Question No internet after startup and when resuming from sleep

Maxim450

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
Hi everybody!
Lately I've switched my old router to a new Tp-link archer VR 600 and ran into some issues.
Right after my PC boots into windows chrome is unable to fetch any websites.
Windows won't recognize any issues and shows "Your connected to the internet" in settings. My other devices which are connected to this router wirelessly and through LAN all work just fine.
I tried reconnecting the LAN cable, resetting router, doing a network reset in windows, restarting pc, flushing DNS in CMD and changing the DNS manually to 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8 and the open DNS.
Sometimes one of the above works for me and sometimes it takes 30 minutes of trying random stuff to get it up and working again. the problem resumes the second I restart the pc / login from sleep mode.

Could really use some advice on how to troubleshoot this the right way.
I got no idea what screenshots to attach or if there are any dump files, please tell me if you're missing any info.

Specs:
Windows 10 Pro ,64Bit, Version 21H1, build 19043.1151
Intel i5-4460 CPU 3.20GHz
Corsair Vengeance 8 GB DDR3 (1600MHz XMP profile 1)
Asus VANGUARD B85, bios ver.2202(latest)
EVGA GTX760 2GB
Samsung 870EVO 500GB
WD Caviar blue 1TB
SeaSonic S12II (520W 80+ Bronze)
all drivers are up to date.
Router is connected via DSL cable from my ISP, and I've got another laptop connected via LAN cable , 2 phones, 2 tablets and one smart tv, though not all are in use simultaneously.

Appreciate the effort, thanks!

First thing i would do is run a ipconfig /all on both your laptop and computer that are plugged into the lan ports. Check to make sure both computers are on the same network, subnet, and default gateway.

If everything looks good there i would head over to Asus webpage and download the latest network drivers and install them. If you know the make and model of the network card you could head to that manufactures webpage and see if they have a newer driver for it then what Asus has.

Maxim450

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
First thing i would do is run a ipconfig /all on both your laptop and computer that are plugged into the lan ports. Check to make sure both computers are on the same network, subnet, and default gateway.

If everything looks good there i would head over to Asus webpage and download the latest network drivers and install them. If you know the make and model of the network card you could head to that manufactures webpage and see if they have a newer driver for it then what Asus has.
Thanks man.
I've verified that both pc and laptop using the lan port are on the same network, subnet and default gateway. all seems fine in that regard.
Asus did not have any updated drives, though Intel had new drivers for the I217-V chip ,so after updating the driver to "wired_driver_26.4_x64" everything worked for a while till it didn't again. (https://www.intel.com/content/www/u...el-network-adapter-driver-for-windows-10.html)
So I'm kinda stuck again in same situation. got any other ideas for me to try?

Because it's just your system, I would boot a linux live cd to confirm you don't have a hardware issue. If it works there, then it's just some sort of windows issue.
Thanks.
Did boot the latest ubuntu on a flash drive to try it and it seems that the issue remains.
It shows under settings that there is working a connection, though Firefox won't fetch any websites.
So maybe it is a hardware issue? got any idea?

Last edited:
Did boot the latest ubuntu on a flash drive to try it and it seems that the issue remains.
It shows under settings that there is working a connection, though Firefox won't fetch any websites.
So maybe it is a hardware issue? got any idea?
That's interesting. I don't think it's necessarily a hardware issue since this is the same thing you saw in windows and think it's more of a network configuration issue in the router. Are you able to factory default the router and see if that helps?

Maxim450

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
That's interesting. I don't think it's necessarily a hardware issue since this is the same thing you saw in windows and think it's more of a network configuration issue in the router. Are you able to factory default the router and see if that helps?
Thanks.
I just did a factory reset. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.
Also I tried updating the router's firmware but that didn't solve it either.

Would love to hear if you have more ideas, it's kinda frustrating.. :(

Thanks.
I just did a factory reset. Unfortunately it didn't solve the problem.
Also I tried updating the router's firmware but that didn't solve it either.

Would love to hear if you have more ideas, it's kinda frustrating.. :(
Super strange for sure.

Well, this is a set of oddball ideas, but let's see what happens.

Disconnect your system from the new router and plug in your old one and see if you can connect to the web interface on it. If so, set the dhcp range to something different than your main router and connect the WAN of your old router to the LAN of your new one. See what that does.

Maxim450

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2013
Super strange for sure.

Well, this is a set of oddball ideas, but let's see what happens.

Disconnect your system from the new router and plug in your old one and see if you can connect to the web interface on it. If so, set the dhcp range to something different than your main router and connect the WAN of your old router to the LAN of your new one. See what that does.
Sorry, I can't do that.
I've already returned my old router to my ISP.