Question No internet but shows ethernet connected to router

millworker301

Commendable
Mar 31, 2020
I am trying to help someone with their computer long distance. I normally help him by using Teamviewer but he has no internet. Here is the situation. I sure would like some ideas as to what to try next. Thanks ahead of time.

Windows 10. There are 2 computers connected to the wifi router via ethernet cables. One of the computers is working fine and has internet. The other one, which is the one I am trying to fix doesn't have internet. The ethernet cable seems to be connected ok because under Network & internet connections it shows as connected.
Status says "You're connected to the internet" and shows a completed path

When trying to pull up a site it says DNS server isn't responding

I have tried having him unplug the router and restart it, no help
I have tried shutting computer down and restarting, no help
He normally uses chrome, which right now says it can't connect to the site
I had him try Firefox and that didn't connect either so it doesn't look like a browser issue.

As an added note, This is a desktop PC, nothing has change in the last 6 months, and the router is within 2' of the computer. As a reminder this is an ethernet connection and there is another computer also connected to the router via ethernet that is working fine.

I don't see any obvious signs of what is wrong. If I can't figure it out soon I will have to drive there and fix it locally. It is an 8hr trip oneway so I hope that you guys have some good suggestions.

Try the simple ping 8.8.8.8

If that responds you have internet. Then it could be a dns issue so set the dns to 8.8.8.8. Maybe also turn off ipv6 support in the nic.

If it does not ping then you do not actually have a internet connection. See if you can ping the router ip.